Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Unnamed(As of yet) Phoenix Inspired Pebble Arcade Shooter

Started by semiprocoder, August 29, 2016, 06:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semiprocoder

I've recently started making a new pebble game that is inspired by the calculator game, phoenix. It is still going to be very different though. Anyways, I've written the very basic player movement and shooting code. Currently I am not releasing the source, but once it gets to an acceptable level, I will release it. Right now there is something going on with the pebble emulator, so I can't really get a screenshot right now, but I sill soon.

Edit: I've decided to make my github public: https://github.com/awesommee333/Arcade-Shooter

Note: this is a crosspost of my blog post on: http://andrewkrapivin.xyz/. I will mainly be posting updates there, but I will post the more major pebble updates here too. Also, should I post this on cemetech?

Edit: Well havent fixed the emulator, but decided to just take a picture of the physical watch:

• Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

I would definitively recommend pisting some updates here for more exposure. You could also do so on Cemetech. I don't have that watch but it's nice to see people get into smartwatch game dev. Will the game feature a shop like the calc one?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

semiprocoder

Yes, it will feature a shop eventually. I already have support for custom ships, weapons, and projectile types, but I only have one of each right now for testing. I am currently unsure of how I should implement the shop though:
Should I:
1) Allow for buying custom ships, weapons, and projectiles?
2) Should I have separate ships in the shop and weapons, but weapons shoot what projectile they are programmed to do so, not the one you buy(I think I am going to go for this as then I can have weapons shoot different types of projectiles at the same time)?
3) Should ships come with a built in weapon that you cant change?

Btw ships have stats like armor and health. Armor is going to be regenerated(like in Halo), while health can only be restored if you purchase repairs in the shop.

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, x10host is by far the worst hosting provider ever, even more than Geocities and Angelfire. If I was you I would switch as soon as possible to something that has at least 10% of uptime or higher.  >.<

For the shop you should maybe do like the TI-Nspire Phoenix clone. Some ideas I had are as follow:

-Repair (restore HP by a certain amount)
-Armor upgrade (armor gets regenerated faster): Price increases the more you buy armor upgrades
-Shooting speed upgrade (shooting speed increases): Price increases the more you buy shooting upgrades
-Plasma beam: do twice as much damage than regular beam.
-Hyper beam: do three time as much damage than regular beam.
-Double-fire: Shoots 2 beams at once instead of 1.
-Triple-fire: Shoots 3 beams at once instead of 1.

It would be up to the player to decide if he prefers saving money for more powerful upgrades or instead upgrade to weaker ones as soon as able too.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

semiprocoder

I am planning to have you kind of customize your shooter by changing the ship(which has different stats), changing the weapon, like yeah double fire or a different(maybe allowing for a secondary weapon or weapon customizer?), and then getting different multipliers that multiply max health, max armor, armor regen, damage(plasma beat type thing or should I just make it add like .1 to the multiplier time?), and it will allow you to increase your health. Obviously I am still a ways away from finishing this, so I will change how I want the store to work.

Also I agree that x10hosting isn't that great, but its the only free hosting service I found that allows me to set a custom domain and custom html site, where I installed wordpress.

Dream of Omnimaga

I thought that Dreamhost and a few others had free hosting with custom domain? As for the game, that seems good. On a side note, does the Pebble support colors? If the ships are small and grayscale, then it might get hard to distinguish each ship since the screen is small so you would definitively need to make them very varied from each others.

DarkestEx

Nice project, semiprocoder!
Btw, did you notice your website is incredibly slow. It takes 30+ seconds to load. I don't think that can be right.
And no it's certainly not my Internet. I am on Ethernet and I get a gross download rate of 100 Mbit/s from the internet.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

It's because he uses free hosting. We get what we pay for.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 11, 2016, 04:02:56 AM
It's because he uses free hosting. We get what we pay for.
Not really. While I switched to paid hosting a while ago. I figured out a perfect formula for free hosting before.
It is fast, ad-free, gives you 10GB of storage and one free domain (not a redirection but an actual usable domain).
I am willing to share details of course @semiprocoder ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

If you mean those free hostings that requires you to spam referal links everywhere then that can be risky because if you get banned everywhere for spamming then your hosting might run out. Otherwise what I noticed is that ad-supported free hosting are getting more rare, but if you don't need PHP or SQL support then you have more chances to run into a fast hosting. Anyway Neocities could be an alternative if it supports PHP.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 11, 2016, 04:23:35 PM
If you mean those free hostings that requires you to spam referal links everywhere then that can be risky because if you get banned everywhere for spamming then your hosting might run out. Otherwise what I noticed is that ad-supported free hosting are getting more rare, but if you don't need PHP or SQL support then you have more chances to run into a fast hosting. Anyway Neocities could be an alternative if it supports PHP.
No of course not. It took me months to refine my choice and i ended up with two different free hosters. One provides the fre domain (freenom) and the other has free hosting without ads and with php and command line access.
No referral crap nor anything thats the great thing.

semiprocoder

Well, I have gotten my first enemy working(sorta). There is an enemy on the screen, and if you get hit enough times, the game exits. If the enemy is hit enough times, then it stops shooting and isnt displayed. However, it is still there so that the bullets can finish traveling. If the bullets are all gone, then the enemy gets deleted from the array of enemies.

Also @DarkestEx I would definitely like to know what hosting web service you know about. I obviously need something better than what I have right now, as it is ridiculously slow. Does it support wordpress?

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on September 11, 2016, 05:23:24 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 11, 2016, 04:23:35 PM
No of course not. It took me months to refine my choice and i ended up with two different free hosters. One provides the fre domain (freenom) and the other has free hosting without ads and with php and command line access.
No referral crap nor anything thats the great thing.
Ah that's good then. Backup often, though, more often than with paid hosts, in case they shut down your site without warning due to the company restructuring, like some do <.<
Quote from: semiprocoder on September 13, 2016, 12:58:59 AM
Well, I have gotten my first enemy working(sorta). There is an enemy on the screen, and if you get hit enough times, the game exits. If the enemy is hit enough times, then it stops shooting and isnt displayed. However, it is still there so that the bullets can finish traveling. If the bullets are all gone, then the enemy gets deleted from the array of enemies.

Also @DarkestEx I would definitely like to know what hosting web service you know about. I obviously need something better than what I have right now, as it is ridiculously slow. Does it support wordpress?
Nice to see progress. I am curious about how fast this platform can run :)

Dudeman313

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

It probably depends of its technical specs. If its technical specs are similar to early smartphones then it can do a lot.