Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+ Series Hybrid BASIC] Sorcery of Uvutu (Released!)

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2015, 10:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 18, 2017, 08:33:08 PM
Can you place tiles while holding down the mouse buttons or do you have to click repeatedly? That was my issue with certain map editors before and I prefer if you can hold mouse buttons down. That way I don't need to buy a new mouse after each dungeon is drawn <_<

As for 3 bit mode, the only issue is that this will cause the HUD/UI to flash as well:

Lol, you can hold the mouse button down with the Tokens map editor. And yeah, I thought of that too, but that's the way the old Pokemon had it; Screen shake would affect the text box as well as everything else. I actually like the way that works.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

123outerme

Well, since I had several suggestions and I decided I had nothing to do today, I've uploaded v1.2 with 99% aesthetic changes.
[spoiler=Changelog v1.2]
*Added color invert to some magic attacks and one physical attack
*Added more flair to intro and outro text walls
*Changed game ending to Save + Continuing, not Save + Quitting
*Removed requirement for SOUVUTUS to be in RAM; this protects against RAM clears, and makes it easier to install
*Added chair sprites to every house to make it more lively and less plain
*Slightly changed some sprites
*Behind-the-scenes work to give the user more of a "RAM buffer"; users need slightly less RAM in order to run and not crash the game
[/spoiler]
I've uploaded it to the original post.
Here's a screenshot:

Dream of Omnimaga

I made a Youtube video of the first world :)

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 20, 2017, 12:48:33 AM
I made a Youtube video of the first world :)

Thank you so much, DJ! I really appreciate all the publicity and support you've been giving this project.

Dream of Omnimaga

I like RPGs, especially japanese-style ones (eg not Dark Souls, Borderlands, Diablo), plus I think elaborate projects like this deserve some recognition or publicity. Thankfully I was in the mood to make a video so it happened. Hopefully I can make videos of some of the other recent releases that lack one in the near future :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 20, 2017, 05:00:32 AM
I like RPGs, especially japanese-style ones (eg not Dark Souls, Borderlands, Diablo), plus I think elaborate projects like this deserve some recognition or publicity. Thankfully I was in the mood to make a video so it happened. Hopefully I can make videos of some of the other recent releases that lack one in the near future :)
Yeah, I really like JRPGs as well (hence why I made one)
Also lol, someone in the comments just said "I saw an ape man in the woods"

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I noticed lol. Also I liked the puns that each boss said in reference to the world they are in by the way

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 21, 2017, 07:00:09 PM
Yeah I noticed lol. Also I liked the puns that each boss said in reference to the world they are in by the way
Yeah, that was one of the things I wanted to bring back from Dragonsglid when I was planning to remake it. I think it turned out nice, adds a lot of character.

Dream of Omnimaga

I forgot if I asked this already, but for the walking engine, do you have the game so that event tiles are detected from inside the walking loop? I always found it was faster to only check if the tile is solid or not in the main loop and if it's solid then I make the game exit the loop completely and do stuff outside (eg checking if the solid tile was an event). I do the same when the menu key is pressed. This makes walking faster.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 23, 2017, 02:52:32 AM
I forgot if I asked this already, but for the walking engine, do you have the game so that event tiles are detected from inside the walking loop? I always found it was faster to only check if the tile is solid or not in the main loop and if it's solid then I make the game exit the loop completely and do stuff outside (eg checking if the solid tile was an event). I do the same when the menu key is pressed. This makes walking faster.
I have done this. I've included all of the walking code, and that's it. Unfortunately, if I make a new loop that doesn't include these things, the game is basically behind one keypress at all times. It's a really interesting phenomenon acutally :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see now. Also do you redraw the entire map every frame?

p2

If so you should change it to only draw changes from moving around and animated tiles as well as changes like disappearing text boxes :)
The speed boost is really incredible (realized it myself after implementing that in WalrusKingdom).  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 23, 2017, 03:19:55 AM
Ah I see now. Also do you redraw the entire map every frame?
I don't, actually. What's in the main loop is approximately as follows:

Repeat [until you break out of the Overworld code]
Repeat [if a key is pressed]
[Get a keypress]
[Move the character if an arrow key is pressed]
End
[Check for a collision]
[Check if a battle should start]
[Check for moving between maps, entering a house, or obtaining an item]
End

All of the procedures at the end of the loop range from fairly - extremely expensive, yet vital. I've tried optimizations, but nothing seems to work. That, I assume, is the main cause of the slower walk speed, compared to the rest of the game's responsiveness. But that's okay, I mean at least the speed is tolerable! :)

Quote from: p2 on January 23, 2017, 09:45:42 AM
If so you should change it to only draw changes from moving around and animated tiles as well as changes like disappearing text boxes :)
The speed boost is really incredible (realized it myself after implementing that in WalrusKingdom).  :thumbsup:
I actually don't have animated tiles. I'm sure that would slow the game down by a ton if I implemented them.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah,I agree that the speed is fine. The only problem would be if leveling up took ages, like in early betas, but that has been fixed. Not that it's really a problem if leveling up is slow, since most old RPGs were grind fests, but nowadays people seem to prefer JRPGs where just rushing through dungeons without escaping any battle nor skipping treasure chests is just enough to beat the final boss.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 03, 2017, 05:26:29 AM
Yeah,I agree that the speed is fine. The only problem would be if leveling up took ages, like in early betas, but that has been fixed. Not that it's really a problem if leveling up is slow, since most old RPGs were grind fests, but nowadays people seem to prefer JRPGs where just rushing through dungeons without escaping any battle nor skipping treasure chests is just enough to beat the final boss.
It kinda feels like I stumbled across the perfect game balance, like you described; enough exp and HP to get through a dungeon in one run, if you were clever or conserved your potions well. I agree that grindfests are now seen as a negative feature in a game, but I know that when JRPGs first started, they got their hours per game waaaay up there by adding a ton of grinding to do. Back then, when everyone was enamored with just being able to move around a map, this was okay. The modern gaming scene has already learned to ropes of what a game can do, and now they're looking for more depth with less boring time of basically watching the game be played.