Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Old Calculator Games

Started by GuyInFreezer, January 21, 2016, 07:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyInFreezer

Inb4 there's a thread about this too and I'm too blind to find it

These are few calculator games I really liked back then.

1. Dying Eyes

Oh man the classic. I remember sitting in my house playing this on my calc for a while. I usually goes melee but one time I did a int build and learned doom it was awesome. And I liked how it has two endings.

2. Nightblade

The guy who reviewed it in ticalc gave it some salty scores but i think the game was great even with its 6x6 graphic the reviewer whined about :P
Multiple storypaths? Weapons? Difficulty? All great, once you get past the 999999999 miss battles early game.

3. The Verdant Forest

My God this game. Me and my brother played this at least 50 times and I basically had a whole game memorized. 7 chapters, awesome graphic, decent story, and all the stuffs. The game was not perfect and had some glitches (infinite magic shiver level up chapter 3 lalalala) but it's still one of the best rp game for a calc and you should try if you haven't. You won't be disappointed. (P.S. do not feed soulstone to david. Even though it is tempting.)

4. Harvest moon

Best harvest moon port for calc. That's all I can say.

5. Mark the super kid

The app one. I liked the game too especially its unique battle engine. Some skills were outright broken but hey it's a calc game and we all love broken attacks.

I'll write up more as I think of it. What is your favorite/recommendation?

Dudeman313

DESOLATE
The absolute best RPG of its time, by tr1p1ea
REUBEN QUEST
Loved the Axe Remake!

Can't think of anything else.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

c4ooo

Does any one remember that Diablo 3 asm rpg game? I usually dont play rpgs, but i played this one a few times and memorized the maps.

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

GuyInFreezer

Is that the one with the boss always a combination of two enemies? If so, yes.

Also, the best reuben quest is the original ti-basic one :P

Dudeman313

Are the TI-BASIC and Axe versions any different?
The answer is "Sure."

c4ooo

Quote from: GuyInFreezer on January 21, 2016, 09:13:03 PM

I don't think it had think it had bosses :P But when you spawn you soawn in a forest full of fire shooting thing and without a weapon.

GuyInFreezer

Is it built with arpg construction set?

c4ooo

Dream of Omnimaga

We have a topic about good calculator games, but not specifically dedicated to old games. Among the old games, my favorites were Galaxian, Lotus, ZTetris, Zelda ToC demo, The Verdante Forest (despite the missing 100% of the time bug), Final Fantasy v1.198, zDoom and Gemini. Joltima and Dying Eyes were other favorites but Dying Eyes is hard as c >.<

Of course Alien Breed series and Boulder Dash are other great classics, although I didn't know them much back in the days. I don't think I need to mention Super Mario 1.2 (even though it has many crashes) and Acelgoyobis. Both are great classics.

As for MTSQ I never got into it personally. While it was a classic that many liked, I found the overworld graphics and map size to be extremely primitive per ASM standards. I think there were like 30 different 12x8 areas to explore. But battles were absolutely great. I wish the game would have been remade with larger maps.

Nightblade wasn't a known game but it was pretty fun.
Quote from: GuyInFreezer on January 21, 2016, 09:13:03 PM

It depends. While Reuben 1 BASIC has better cutscenes than the Axe remake (Sorunome removed some stuff from the game for some reasons), the speed is much slower. As for Reuben 2, the ASM remake not only has faster speed and the same cutscenes, but it also fixes the shop bugs and the intro is compatible with MathPrint OSes. But for nostalgia and better-looking menus I guess I would recommend everyone to give the originals a try at least once (on a 15 MHz calc).

As for ARPGCs, the one c4ooo linked to seems good, but many of those games had a bad reputation back in the days, because everyone just re-released rip-offs of each other's games using the default sprites and they had like 1 hour of gameplay at most. Star Wars and the French Zelda were good, but otherwise you had to search hard in that ticalc folder to find a decent and original ARPGCs game.

I wish someone ported ARPGCS to Windows XP and higher, though, and made it so we can do CSE/CE games.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

GuyInFreezer

As for TVF missing a lot thing, what I did usually was to rush to a ranger fight at level 1 (which you will win despite missing 95% of the time because he will never hit you) and finish a quest to get a fire magic by level 2 (since danger fight will level you up). Once you get magic, you don't need to worry about missing since magic never misses.

As for ARPGC, I liked Bella knight and MGS.

Dream of Omnimaga

Missing was actually a bug I ran into. Most attacks would succeed, but then after a few fights, for unknown reasons all attacks would miss 100% of the time, and I am serious when I say 100%. Attacks just literally stops working and the only fix is to restart the game from last save.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

GuyInFreezer

Hmm I don't think I ever ran into that bug.
But I've ran into other ones. (Especially that bug that gets you stuck in a tileset in chapter 3).

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right I remember that one. Also I think at the top of some maps you could see glitched stuff in early maps.

By the way, FF 1.198 was great too. It had some quirks and bugs (such as being stuck out of your airship when landing on very small map spots) but overall it was one of the best TI-83+ RPGs.

As for Joltima I wish there was a remake that either added magic spells or jobs like in Final Fantasy 1 for the NES, to add more diversity to the game.

pimathbrainiac

For the 68k series, I love playing Gran Turisimo and F Zero. IMO, they are the best racing games ever released on calculators.
Well, I'm bach here too!