Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your worst programming fails

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 17, 2015, 02:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Haha that happens >.<. More recently, my fails mostly involved using the + sing instead of - and vice-versa. I was wondering why Mana Force was only doing collision detection on one half of the screen then found out why XD.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gtemples31415

One of my codes was to make a program to tell you what codon corresponded to what amino acid... I used variables for each letter, so if you put in, like,  CUG, you would also get the results for CGU ad UGC and GUC and so on... Yeah, I really should've used strings...

123outerme

I know a number of times I've accidentally cleared a line then replaced it from memory, and it didn't work.
Also, one time, something in my code was being skipped (can't remember what), so I just put in 0/0 on the line after the one I wanted it to read, and it fixed. I don't remember why that fixed it. It didn't even throw an ERR: DIV BY 0.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Snektron

That's the wonders of TI probably :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: 123outerme on March 25, 2015, 08:46:11 PM
I know a number of times I've accidentally cleared a line then replaced it from memory, and it didn't work.
God praise On+^ from zStart for that.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: 123outerme on March 25, 2015, 08:46:11 PM
Also, one time, something in my code was being skipped (can't remember what), so I just put in 0/0 on the line after the one I wanted it to read, and it fixed. I don't remember why that fixed it. It didn't even throw an ERR: DIV BY 0.
For the first error do you mean the 2nd+Enter thing? I hated when I replaced an entire line of code (sometimes 2 KB long when I was using map data) with the latest homescreen entry. TI should add an option to disable 2nd+Enter in the program editor or a confirm box. Same for when you clear large lines of code.

As for your 2nd problem this sounds like an End instruction was missing somewhere or you forgot to use Then, Else and stuff. I had similar things happen to me for that reason. However, I remember that in OS 1.12, there was also a glitch with  Then that caused ERR:SYNTAX if you added : before that instruction.

So this code would work:
If A=2
Then
B+1->B:0->A
End

But the following would not:
If A=2
:Then
B+1->B:0->A
End

While you are not supposed to use two : symbols in succession, that error was inconsistent because it worked fine with everything else. This was also annoying when our programs were still not finished and in progress, because sometimes we move code around and when debugging we would rather not have strange errors like this come in the way. Another oddity that still remains is how omitting : after a Delvar still works, but I hope TI won't fix that one since it lets us save some bytes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U