Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

PSA: CW downtime and data loss

Started by novenary, August 09, 2015, 09:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

Well yeah, of course, I wouldnt judge like that.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I doubt you would, but it's pretty common with the human race it seems. If for example  if someone attends a metal concert with 100,000 people and one person harasses him then people tend to jump to the conclusion that metal fans are bullies or that the venue administration encourages this behavior.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Yeah, that does happen. Well, we arent perfect. :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Lionel Debroux

Server vandalism is such an inappropriate and inexcusable behaviour...
pimathbrainiac has suddenly made himself many foes, and successfully ostracized himself from a significant chunk of the community, though some people at Cemetech would probably be sympathetic. And I can't see such behaviour helping Omnimaga stats grow back again.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 10, 2015, 01:06:02 AM
That said, I'll admit that I didn't know if he still had server access or not, other than his webspace. I am not in charge of server maintenance so I am not familiar with that. aeTIos probably still has webspace there too then.
Yeah, aeTIos still has root access, though I doubt he ever logs in to the server. I'll remove his root rights but leave him with his webspace. Not that I don't trust aeTIos, but it's better to only give root access to admins.

Unicorn

From what happended recently, I'd say so.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on August 10, 2015, 06:42:47 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 10, 2015, 01:06:02 AM
That said, I'll admit that I didn't know if he still had server access or not, other than his webspace. I am not in charge of server maintenance so I am not familiar with that. aeTIos probably still has webspace there too then.
Yeah, aeTIos still has root access, though I doubt he ever logs in to the server. I'll remove his root rights but leave him with his webspace. Not that I don't trust aeTIos, but it's better to only give root access to admins.
Yeah I agree. Various people said that it was a risky move from our part to do this. And all future staff and elite coders will have to wait before getting server access. That said, we should maybe give access to Eiyo since he has been staff (or at least part-time soon) staff in a long while.

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 10, 2015, 04:23:52 AM
I'm fairly sure he just told him that the site was defaced by the guy, since Brentmaas hadn't been around in a while.

Yeah, we're irl friends too and talk a lot on hangouts / teamspeak
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 10, 2015, 07:03:42 AM
Yeah I agree. Various people said that it was a risky move from our part to do this. And all future staff and elite coders will have to wait before getting server access. That said, we should maybe give access to Eiyo since he has been staff (or at least part-time soon) staff in a long while.
Up until now only the original 5 have had server access. This is a privilege that requires a very strong bond of trust that both Eiyeron and aeTIos share with us, but pimath did as well. Pimath was not only a co-founder, he was our friend and we're deeply hurt that he betrayed us this way.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on August 10, 2015, 03:21:03 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 10, 2015, 07:03:42 AM
Up until now only the original 5 have had server access. This is a privilege that requires a very strong bond of trust that both Eiyeron and aeTIos share with us, but pimath did as well. Pimath was not only a co-founder, he was our friend and we're deeply hurt that he betrayed us this way.
Yeah I feel the same way, and it will make it even harder to trust future friends.

novenary

We received an email from pimath, he wanted part of it to be published so here it is.

Quote from: pimathI messed up drastically. Not only do I regret my actions, but I also regret my speech towards CodeWalrus, its admins, and its community. I let stress from various sources consume me and I lashed out at something I care about. I want to make it clear that I do respect CodeWalrus, its admins, its members, and its contributions to the calculator community as a whole, and that I am truly sorry for what transpired today.

Dream of Omnimaga

That makes me wish that we had removed him from server access when he stepped down. Granted, the other thing that happened (which happened twice before to a much lower scale) would still have led to consequences but they would have been far less bad than this. Accepting apologies is something some people might do and others might do later, but it doesn't necessarily mean that pardoning (as in undoing the rule enforcement)

Although this whole ordeal has brought up another issue that goes on on CW it seems: community deities. I got the approval to ammend the forum/IRC rules about that.

Unicorn

Good thing he apologized, and I know, as others do that stress can be hard to manage. But still, that was the wrong thing to do.

And DJ, what are community deities?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on August 11, 2015, 01:05:01 AM
And DJ, what are community deities?

People in the community that certain people worships like if they were gods, often playing the victim on their behalf the minute those "deities" are reprimanded and excusing their behavior based on their coding skills. Apparently, those individuals are perfect and never do anything wrong.

Unicorn

HEY! Waddya know, I Am Perfect! Ive never done a thing wrong :P :trollface:

??? ??? ??? ??? ???