Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Facebook log in?

Started by James Oldiges, June 26, 2015, 11:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Oldiges

What happened to the facebook log in?

novenary

Whatever the reason, don't spam. Thanks. WalrusIRC is disabled for new accounts as a measure to prevent spam, not to encourage it.

As for your question, facebook login is enabled.

James Oldiges

You could have waited until I had 5 posts ;.;

novenary

Quote from: HBJ on June 26, 2015, 11:39:21 PM
You could have waited until I had 5 posts ;.;
Sorry but no, that's not how it works. If you want to access the chat with less than 5 posts then use IRC. If you stick around you'll have 5 posts by tomorrow.

Can't help you with the facebook thing, I'm not responsible for the forum setup. I can assure you that it's enabled though.

James Oldiges

novenary

For what it's worth facebook is only a way to register an account. Once you did that you have to log in the normal way.

Quote from: HBJ on June 27, 2015, 12:05:14 AM
That irritates me -.-
Excuse me ? You join the forums, first thing you do is spam to get around the limitations we put in place. You're not the one in position to be irritated.

James Oldiges

I swear I used to be able to log in via Facebook.  Like, 3 standard deviations of certainty.

Edit: Autocorrect

Dream of Omnimaga

Strange, it appears missing for me as well, but it shows as installed in the package manager and enabled in the admin panel. Even the setup page is there,  just not in the profile.

However, I found out why: The API credentials fields were missing for some reasons. I believe it could be due to us using a Free account on OneAll rather than premium, so maybe the credentials are reset over time? But yeah, it should work again now. In addition to that, I took the occasion to enable more social networks (notably Github, Reddit, Amazon, etc)

That said, it is not a reason to spam the forums nor to be rude towards staff that reprimands you about it. Also, it's against the rules to create multiple accounts and it's the 3rd account you try to make. COnsidering you signed up 5 years ago in the TI community and that you were warned for this a few times on Omni, you should know better. As a result, this would be your first warning now. Poke me on Facebook if you can't access your @James Oldiges account, then I'll get Street or someone to delete the duplicate then I'll re-assign your new posts to the old account.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

James Oldiges

Cool, thanks.

Oh sorry! I completely did not, to be rude or disrespectful what so ever!  I was commenting that Facebook issue irritated me, not the actions taken by the admin!  I meant no offence.
This being the 3rd account, the first two were merged to the Facebook one, to my understanding.  Being my account was unaccessable (trying the forgotten password prompt on my emails), creating a new account to report the bug seemed like the logical thing to do. It slipped my mind that I could contact you Via FB. What should I have done (with FB PM slipping my mind)?.

On regards of spam.  I hardly considered it being spam.  The content and reasoning was well within context.  It was within one string so it was quite isolated.  It interfered with no train of thought.  The only thing that was of spam quality (in my understanding of the word), was that it took up more space than a single message.  I understand if there may be discrepancies between our understanding of the word, but know I was not doing so of malevolent nature, but to access the IRC.  In my experience, an IRC is the fasted form to receive beneficial help to a problem, and would result in far less spam (wasted space), due to the temporary nature of an IRC.

I write this to express that I had no ill intent in my actions, and that you may better understand them.

Edit: Grammar

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, technically, when trying to reset your password on your old account, you should have gotten an email with a reset password, unless you no longer had access to that e-mail. Maybe the e-mails landed in your spam or thrash folder? Otherwise, if all else would fail, you can contact me via Facebook. Also it might have been a better idea in your first post from this account to state upfront that you had to create a new account because you were no longer able to access your old one.

To make things less complicated, I'll change your current account join date to the same as the old account then get Street or juju to delete your old account without removing the topics/posts, then I can re-assign your posts to the current account.

As for the spam we were refering to the 1-2-3-4 counting post-by-post. That is definitively spam in the flooding sense of the word. I mean, it was a quadruple-post where each post just contained 1 character and they were made in quick succession. The reason why WalrusIRC shoutbox is disabled for people under 5 posts is to reduce risks of spambots flooding it via immediate or nearly-immediate access. But it is definitively not allowed to flood like that just to access a website feature, else that leaves the door wide open for n00bs and trolls to do it. You can still use WalrusIRC in full view mode at 0 posts or join IRC directly using EFnet, with the IRC client of your choice (or a web one, such as IRCCloud).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

James Oldiges

Ehh, I tried:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
And none worked. Jamebeast is the one that should be attached to FB.

Again, Facebook had not crossed my mind. I apologize, but it just didn't *shrug*. I am a person who acts quickly, and probably should have pondered it for a days time.

I figured HBJ was remembered, the same way as DJ_anything is known to be you.  However, I should have been clearer.  I thought it would just be a post, respond, delete account issue. No more time taken.

No need to go through the trouble of merging an account.  I typically don't associate with the past. I take a project. Learn as much as I can. When I feel the learning is done, I find something else to do.  What I learn, I take with me, and leave the physicals behind.

I understand the necessity and stigma for precedence.

I have never yet understood how to IRC.  All I know is that there is a chat box at the top that says 5 posts.

Yuki

That's okay, just don't do that again. I'll merge your accounts in one sometime today.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Your forum account uses the last one you listed. You would have needed to enter your forum nickname and that e-mail address in the field. http://codewalr.us/index.php?action=profile;u=91 . You need to enter that address in the lost password form. Maybe you have to enter the login name too, which would be James Oldiges.

And we will merge the account no matter your preferences since only 1 account is allowed.

As for IRC, the first Google result should be handy at https://www.google.ca/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=how+to+use+IRC&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=LEKOVcqqMcru-QGe7LfwBA but if you use IRCCloud or Mibbit, I think that EFnet is listed in the servers list and all you need to do is choose a nickname and type in #CodeWalrus as the channel.

James Oldiges

Thank you JuJu, take your time as you wish.

Love your avatar by the way!

Yuki

Yeah, tell me if you're able to login on this one, then I'll merge the others into it. Otherwise, I can always help you recover it.

And thanks, I should probably put it on Omnimaga as well.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here