Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+][TI-82][TI-83] HoustonTracker 2 on-calc music editor

Started by utz, October 06, 2015, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

utz

bump... a little video that explains some of the new features in further detail:

• Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Dream of Omnimaga

So yeah, this is awesome. Thanks for the explanation by the way. I'm amazed at the new sounds that HT2 can produce. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

How well does this work with Wabbit? Is the sound anywhere near how it is oncalc? If so, I might mess with it sometime soon (ish)
ceci n'est pas une signature

utz

Never had much luck with Wabbit myself, I always get skippy audio. So I stick with tilem2. However, other people have reported that it works fine, so I guess it depends how much horsepower your PC has.

Dream of Omnimaga

I still wish there were Windows builds of TilEm more recent than 2012. I don't have skippy audio issues in Wabbit, but the sound is one second behind.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Lionel Debroux

OT: over the past few months, Benjamin and I have been working on the items of the todo/wish/bug list for libti*, so that a release thereof can be produced, and subsequently a new release of TilEm (with Windows builds) using released versions of libti* :)
The last remaining important feature was recently done by Benjamin, the remaining bugfixes and small features are more minor.
The todo/wish/bug list is no secret, I usually mention a small subset of its items in the appropriate topics. The reason I do no longer distribute the full file publicly is that over time, I just found it more convenient to reference e-mail author + timestamp, and even (especially over the past year) paste verbatim copies of private e-mails because it's 1) less work and 2) less information lost in attempting to summarize the content. Therefore, the file has grown a lot, over 55 KB at the time of this writing, despite three semi-recent passes of shaving "done" items, ~10 KB of text each time...
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

garvalf

Both tilem2 and wabbitemu works fine for me. I wish the android version of wabbitemu would implement the 1bit sounds (like the desktop version) so I could compose for HT2 from my tablet...

I've posted this link earlier, but here it is again, it's a recording comparison between real TI, tilem2 and wabbitemu: http://garvalf.online.fr/index.php?page=z80_archeocat_vs_cybercat
It's quite close, but it's not the same speed and therefore height...
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

That would be nice @Lionel Debroux . The latest version on ticalc.org and latest Windows executable dates back in 2012. Maybe someone could setup nightlies on a server like pimathbrainiac did with CEmu?

Also yeah @garvalf, I recall not seeing much difference in them. In fact, even on the real calc I never noticed sound differences. The only thing that ever sounded much different before is Axe Parser sound.

Lionel Debroux

QuoteMaybe someone could setup nightlies on a server like pimathbrainiac did with CEmu?
Technically, yeah.
TilEm, or for that matter, GCC4TI change rather less often than CEmu does in the beginning, so manual builds once in a while (after some milestone / new feature) could do the job well enough for TilEm and GCC4TI, as they do for e.g. libti*/gfm/TILP.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

utz

Hear, hear, a new tilem2! Pleased to hear that (though generally I'm quite happy with the current version).

Btw regarding sound emulation, I found that there are also significant differences in sound between models. For example the 82 Parcus runs much slower, appearantly not even close to the 6 MHz it's supposed to run at according to spec. Also the 83 and up generally run slightly faster than the (regular) 82, but the clock in those models seems to be less accurate, leading to extra fuzz in the sound.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow I didn't know that about the Parcus. It reminds me of how the TI-86 ran much slower than the 85 when running TI-BASIC programs, but in my case it was because of the way the TI-86 RAM is mapped or something. And yeah what I was curious the most about was if the sound was different between the TI-82 and 83+ series.

garvalf

I've seen a nice TI-82 on ebay (looks like the one own by Utz in his videos), I've put an auction on it, if it doesn't rise too much (I don't want to pay more than 20 € for this) I might get it, so I'll see the differences...
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

aetios

ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

@garvalf did you get any luck buying it? I never saw a Parcus calc on Ebay before (other than ones that did not ship outside USA), so I never could buy one. I am curious about how well HT2 works on it. Also, BrandonW really hated Parcus calculators, and in the case of the TI-82, I bet many people did as well, since most CrASH programs didn't work in ROM 19.0006 (requiring shell updates).

garvalf

yes, I got it, for 10€ + 5 € for shipping (I should receive it soon)

Hopefully, it's not a parcus. I think the parcus support was added recently, but I find the design quite ugly:
http://www.datamath.org/Graphing/TI-82_1.htm

The one I got looks like this, which is much better (even if it is quite used): link