Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Release of TI-Connect CE 5.0

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 23, 2015, 04:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

TI has just released TI-Connect CE 5.0 on their official website. It is a standalone version of TI-Connect that supports the USB version of the TI-83 Plus.Fr, the TI-83 Premium CE and the entire TI-84 Plus family. It sports a brand new interface, which lets you edit calculator program code most notably, and offers considerable improvements on file transfer speed. While it used to take 30 seconds in the original TI-Connect to initiate a transfer at all, everything such as drag-n-dropping a file in a Windows folder is now instant.

Unfortunately, this version of TI-Connect drops support for serial linking and consequently, support for the TI-82, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, the original TI-83 Plus.Fr, the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition, TI-85 and TI-86 was dropped. Also, all 68K models including the TI-89 Titanium are no longer supported. On the other hand, TI-Connect CE acts as a separate entity from TI-Connect 4.0, so installation is done in a separate folder, meaning it will still let you use both.

Download links
Windows: http://education.ti.com/en/us/software/details/en/13312F7CEC074A2DAFD7EE5646129839/swticonnectcesoftwareforwindows (mirror)
Mac: http://education.ti.com/en/us/software/details/en/68CEDD34FDC94622B4DBD173E6A0D8C3/swticonnectcesoftwareformacintosh# (mirror)

Source
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16078
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Hahaha, they want to drop support for most of their calcs? Let's say how much downloads they'll get in a month.

More seriously, why dropping them? There (Marseille, France), I almost only have seen Ti-82 and 83. Some dudes had some old Casio( the green models) and only saw Nspires on the last high-school year. If they are gonna drop them, they are just asking for troubles.

In an other hand, with the hypothetical new calculator regulation law incoming there, pretty much all the calcs are doomed in France, except CE and Nspires...
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

I think it's a sign that the TI-83 Plus, TI-89 Titanium and Voyage 200 are going away soon. I think they just want to stick to the USB Z80 and TI-Nspire models, though, and the TI-83+ lacks an USB port.

That said, TI-Connect 4.0 will still work even after installing TI-Connect CE, so you're fine. The worst thing at this point would be if TI decided to remove TI-Connect 4.0 download links from their website, which would most likely draw major ire from customers.

And yeah the new laws being planned in France suck. I am betting that in the future, only calcs with a valid exam mode will be accepted. On the other hand, new TI calcs are getting cheaper and cheaper there, so now you get a color ez80 model for almost the same price as you used to buy the TI-83+.

I wish that TI America did like TI France and finally realized that their calcs are overpriced, so they would finally adjust their prices to the ones in France (which are much lower)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, but aren't there anti-monopoly rules in Europe going? I hope so because only TI has registered patents about a frigging LED in a calc. :/

But heh, at least we're getting decent hardware for the price we buy for now. No more buying expensive (yet beloved by almost all of us) crappy 96*64 screens! :p

(source to this half-trolling line)

Adriweb

It's not really dropping support, it's basically a new, other transfer software (also acting as a program editor) for the CE calcs, that also nicely works with the older USB z80 calcs.

That's how I view it anyway, since TI Connect 4.0 works alongside.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Eiyeron on February 23, 2015, 05:18:57 PM
Yeah, but aren't there anti-monopoly rules in Europe going? I hope so because only TI has registered patents about a frigging LED in a calc. :/
I don't know. But it's not because of competition, otherwise Casio wouldn't charge this much for calcs in France. Casio calc prices in France are outrageously high compared to USA and especially Canada. I can get the equivalent of a SH4 Graph 35 USB for $50 in my city, yet in France it's about twice as much.

I am willing to bet it's to compete harder against tablets that TI is slowly dropping their prices bracket. TI started doing it a little bit in USA with the 84+CSE replacing the 84+SE for a similar price, but they still have a long way to go (for example, the TI-83+ that runs at 6 MHz is still $110 at most stores)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

They don't really have to compete with tablets, tablets are forbidden at schools or exams, aren't they? That's the point I can't explain. I've never saw someone getting annoyed for their small monochrome screens (except the "crazy" coders) so the concurrency isn't really a problem I think so. (I saw a Graph 35+ USB SH4 still at 90€ right there, where with that price you could get away with a second hand Vita which is way more powerful :-°)

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 23, 2015, 04:51:43 PM
TI-83 Plus

So the TI-84 Plus stays? (im asking since the 83+ and 84+ are almost the same)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

They are actually quite different in terms of specs. The TI-83+ has 164 KB of archive, while the 84+ has 480, and the former runs at 6 MHz while the latter runs at 15. Also, some TI-84+ have 48 KB of RAM available for ASM programs and older ones have 128, while all the 83+ has is 32.
Quote from: Eiyeron on February 23, 2015, 05:29:36 PM
They don't really have to compete with tablets, tablets are forbidden at schools or exams, aren't they? That's the point I can't explain. I've never saw someone getting annoyed for their small monochrome screens (except the "crazy" coders) so the concurrency isn't really a problem I think so. (I saw a Graph 35+ USB SH4 still at 90€ right there, where with that price you could get away with a second hand Vita which is way more powerful :-°)
Yes, for the most part, and sometimes even outside exams because students annoy teachers with them instead of listening. However, calculators have been in danger of extinction for about 9 years because of those devices, so TI needs to adapt, either by innovating or slashing prices.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 23, 2015, 06:25:14 PM
and sometimes even outside exams because students annoy teachers with them instead of listening.
You just sumed up my lycée (high-school life) in one sentence : non stop calc programming/playing. All my teachers pulled off their hairs with me. Imagine their faces when they realized I had much more than one when the first was confiscated! (-_(//));

Dream of Omnimaga

Haha I never had a calc taken away by teachers before, although my mom did it twice. It's because when coding I typed on the calc one-handed the same way I would when typing equations, while working on my school stuff. So it was hard to notice. I rarely played games in class (unless I was done with homework) since it required holding the calc like a Game Boy, which would have looked suspicious.

The problem with phones though is sometimes they would ring in class and the student would actually engage in a convo on the phone, disturbing everyone. Game/video sounds were not a problem back then though because most cellphones couldn't use them. Today the biggest issue would be wifi/3G which allows easy access to online school notes or support.

Yuki

A program editor? That wooks quite nice? Blimey.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed and it seems better than the one in TI-Graph Link. However I'll probably stick to SourceCoder for now because it has colored syntax and I need to get used to how saving/exporting works in TI-Connect CE to not accidentally kill my project code.

Ledmund

I know it's a shocker.

p2

Uh hi @Ledmund and welcome to the site :)
If you want to you can say hi to the other members and introduce yourself with a few short words HERE (but u don't have to) :)

Wait, wut? The TI83+ family (except the 84s) is no longer supported?? :ninja:
Why the hell didnt they include the support for them as well? Having to use a separate program for them really sucks <_<
TI may produce great hardware that is almost unbreakable, but their PC software, especially linking software, really sucks :P
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)