Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalrus ads are shutting off on July 11th

Started by Yuki, June 11, 2018, 08:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Well, some sad news today: our beloved ad provider Project Wonderful is shutting down on August 1st. They provided us with the ad box above this page (disable AdBlock if you don't see it) for more than a year and a half now, you guys had a good time bidding random stuff on this box and overall, we only have good words for it. But, unfortunately, giants such as Facebook are killing individual blogs and websites in favor of their own platform and it's taking a toll on Project Wonderful. They were founded to serve independent websites such as ours, but they're now in a situation they cannot do that anymore.

So what does it mean? Bidding and ad serving will shut down one month from now on July 11th, so if you want to do so, here's your last chance. Otherwise, we have a few other alternative sources of revenue you can choose from: you can either become one of my patrons on Patreon or directly send us money on PayPal. Both will give you a supporter rank on CodeWalrus and its Discord server in appreciation of helping funding our server and development costs.

In conclusion, I want to thank Ryan North and the rest of the PW team for their good services over the last 12 years and a half. You guys had a good run and I hope people will find a new solution to the problem.

*cough* *cough* definitely not suggesting the secret project I work for
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

gameblabla

Rip
Reading their blog post shocked me a bit, even though it was hardly surprising.
Not everyone is on facebook thankfully but unfortunately, people still prefer centralized networks like Twitter or Youtube.
So even without facebook, it will still be an issue.

I don't like ads though, so yay ? But they were hardly invasive compared to pretty much everything else.

If my name was donald trump, i would have donated but i need that money for something else :/
So yeah rip
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Yuki

Yeah, the big networks such as Google AdSense are easily one of the easiest attack vectors for viruses and such and we would never annoy you with invasive, crappy ads nor ever forcing you to see them. Project Wonderful did a pretty good job at not doing that.

On that, once it disappears, you might be able to give me a good price to put your own ads manually in in its place, that'd be nice.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

123outerme

Quote from: Juju on June 11, 2018, 09:25:03 PM
Yeah, the big networks such as Google AdSense are easily one of the easiest attack vectors for viruses and such and we would never annoy you with invasive, crappy ads nor ever forcing you to see them. Project Wonderful did a pretty good job at not doing that.

On that, once it disappears, you might be able to give me a good price to put your own ads manually in in its place, that'd be nice.
I actually have a good recommendation. If you really wanted/needed to put up ads, add AdSense ads, (jeez so many "ad"s), but have them disabled by default. Then, the user could opt-in to see them (which I would do, I really don't mind ads of any caliber, as long as they stay in their little box and aren't too NSFW or whatever). Disable them even for guests, if you really felt it was necessary.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

At least, since I moved I can now probably help if we need funds to run the site, but probably not immediately since PTSD and other health issues crippled my revenues for the past 11 months or so. I can probably send in $10 every few month whenever needed

We will miss Project Wonderful, though, because of the types of ads it provided. It was fun to be able to get your artwork out there without being forced to pay $25 in order to get 1 extra click.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Caleb Hansberry

That's really sad news! I used Project Wonderful once and agree that the system was very nice for both advertisers and viewers - it was easy, cheap, and fair, and for the viewers, it was inoffensive and non-invasive. So that's just sad.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

Dream of Omnimaga

The final ad from me has finally run out of funds. Nonetheless, my entire discography bundle remains 70% off until July 11th despite the ad being gone early.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Zeda

Is it possible to kind of make your own version for the site?

Yuki

Working on that, you'll see that soon! Until then, starting from July 11th, you can directly send me your ads to show on the site along with a donation if you want :)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Somewhere in the near future, we will have our own ads to promote affiliated Minecraft servers/musicians/etc but it will probably restricted exclusively to DJ Omnimaga Music at first

Dream of Omnimaga

And it's over D:

Ads have been turned off a few minutes ago.

(Whoever still has money on their project wonderful account should withdraw their funds before they go offline completely on August 1st. Note that their website is incredibly slow right now, though. To withdraw less than $10 you have to deposit an extra $10 first then withdraw everything at once immediately after the money is available for withdrawal)