We're on Discord! Please join our server now if you don't want to miss anything! (More info) | Join the UCC4 contest! (More info)

* WalrusIRC

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: Apparently Microsoft is acquiring Github  (Read 904 times)

Offline Juju

• aka Yuki Kagayaki aka J̵̭͕͇ù̞̭̝̯̦j̴̭̙̗͖͡ù͏͓̲̕
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +37/-2
  • Couch potato
    • jul.savard
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @julosoft
    • juju-kun
    • /u/juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • Juju's shed
  • WalriiPoints: 99999
Re: Apparently Microsoft is acquiring Github
« on: June 04, 2018, 02:48:30 am »
Still a rumor so far, but yeah, it's going to get pretty interesting. The relationship between Microsoft and open source is already pretty good, so is their relationship with GitHub. I mean, it's the biggest company using GitHub already, they switched most of their source code to Git, improved it so it would work with the Windows source code, and they're even in the biggest commiters to the Linux kernel. So yeah. They even almost would buy Linux at this point. But yeah, the biggest problem is how they would handle DMCAs, but eh, who knows? Maybe they would end up like Tumblr when they got bought by Yahoo! and nothing really happened.

Anyway. installing your own instance of GitLab is a f***ing pain in the ass even on a brand new VPS, way too much dependencies, use Gogs or whatever thing they forked it as instead. I'm using it at the job and it's magic. Also using Visual Studio Code, it's a pretty nice IDE, except I dunno what would happen to Atom...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:50:06 am by Juju »
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games