Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Warning: DO NOT upgrade to OS 5.3.1!

Started by TheLastMillennial, March 21, 2018, 11:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLastMillennial

Note: most of this post was copied over from Cemetech, it was originally written by PT_ here.

About 4 days ago, TI released a new OS for both the TI-83 Premium CE and TI-84 Plus CE. But as people at TI-Planet discovered pretty soon, it has 2 main disadvantages:
  • Going into exam mode can now take up 1.5 - 2 minutes, due to the OS checking and validating all the installed apps. Previously this took about 2 seconds.
  • The [mono]Asm84CEPrgm[/mono] is now permanently disabled, which means you can't write assembmly programs on-calc anymore. Luckily asm programs in general aren't blocked. AFAIK, this isn't a mistake:
    Quote from: AdriwebNo it's not a mistake, they confirmed it after all with TI-Dallas. And they say it's only half disabled because they didn't want to block/remove it entirely either, so to use it they say to write and transfer things from TI-Connect CE. But that's also why I (or anybody else, I guess) say it's completely absurd/illogical.
From the community-experience, TI barely listens to our complains, so don't get your hopes up that this will be 'fixed' soon. Personally I've no idea what the future will bring us, but if you have boot code >= 5.1.5 (check with [MODE] [ALPHA] ), don't upgrade your OS. If your boot code is from before 5.1.5, you can downgrade the OS to even OS 5.0.0.

Source:
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=21187

Thanks to TheMachine02 you can now downgrade from this OS!
Quote from: TheMachine02 on March 22, 2018, 10:16:13 PM
The first tool to be able to downgrade is now out https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=1398736  :P
  • Calculators owned: HP Prime G2, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-34, Boring Sharp calculator

Thank you for your time, go make a paradox, have a good day.

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

TheLastMillennial

Thank you for that information, I'll put it in my video I'm making.
  • Calculators owned: HP Prime G2, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-34, Boring Sharp calculator

Thank you for your time, go make a paradox, have a good day.