Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Midknight Soft is back (again)?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, July 04, 2017, 03:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Seems like they are back, after a decade of absence:

http://midknightsoft.com/

I found this out via TI-Story wiki after discovering they had updated their own page. There isn't much there yet (the site went offline in early 2006 or so and just came back recently with the old logo splash screen) but I am curious if they are gonna make some new games for calcs or other platforms... so far it seems like they have switched to music and fractal animations)

They used to be called Destination Software, back when they were hosted on Dimension-TI/Calc.org and they worked on Zenith Saga for the TI-89, 92+ and Voyage 200.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

The logo on their website is like 240p :V

Dream of Omnimaga

I think it's their 2004-2005 logo.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

TimeCr0ss

Hi xlibman,

Omni...that takes it wayyyy back.

Yes, my group is in the process of re-launching ourselves. We will develop for calculators again, and indeed other platforms. Technology has progressed so drastically in our "time off" that we cannot resist bringing some new ideas to the table.

Also, we haven't switched to music and animations, we are demonstrating the musical talent that you will be hearing in our upcoming projects. That linked song on our site was recently written for ZS by an amazingly talented composer after she read the full script and expressed interest in working with us. I am, personally, very excited.

She has also seen some of the new ideas we are coming up with. So, with Joanne, it will still be the original staff: Myself, Luis, and Wilson. A new writer is joining, Elizabeth. Keep an eye out for us.  ;)

- Kodi
Founder DSoft / MKSoft

Quote from: xlibman on July 04, 2017, 03:57:10 PM
Seems like they are back, after a decade of absence:

http://midknightsoft.com/

I found this out via TI-Story wiki after discovering they had updated their own page. There isn't much there yet (the site went offline in early 2006 or so and just came back recently with the old logo splash screen) but I am curious if they are gonna make some new games for calcs or other platforms... so far it seems like they have switched to music and fractal animations)

They used to be called Destination Software, back when they were hosted on Dimension-TI/Calc.org and they worked on Zenith Saga for the TI-89, 92+ and Voyage 200.

TimeCr0ss

Yes, we decided to stick with the older logo just for now so people such as all of you would recognize us in our rebirth! We are working on a whole new look, but wanted familiarity in our initial announcement.

- Kodi
Founder DSoft / MKSoft

P.S. ZS and FFD are nothing compared to what we are designing now....

Quote from: xlibman on July 10, 2017, 04:10:38 AM

TimeCr0ss

Btw xllbman, it is a pleasure to talk to you again and see that you remember us. You are one of the few that I can even communicate with from back in the "golden age" of TI-Calc development. Most are long gone.

Don Barnes, Mardell....and many others. I see P. Davidson is till around, it would be a shock to talk to him. :)

- Kodi
Founder DSoft / MKSoft

Quote from: xlibman on July 10, 2017, 04:10:38 AM

Lionel Debroux

Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

TimeCr0ss

I see that. Pretty darn amazing. We are getting old now.  :)

Quote from: Lionel Debroux on November 01, 2017, 07:38:54 AM
Yeah, PatrickD is still around :)

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm so glad that MK is coming back. Also nice to see you around Timecr0ss . Even though FFD and ZS are old, there has been a trend of remaking old calc games for newer calculators or even the PC and other platforms lately. I myself did it with porting Mana Force and Galaga BASIC to the color screen TI-84 calcs (as First Fantasy: Mana Force and GalagACE). I have moved on to exclusively things that don't require any programming since one and an half years, though. And yeah, CW's age range is kinda high due to how many members who are in their 30's and 40's we have. It's nice to see former community members come back.

TimeCr0ss

Yes, all of us that started in the mid 90s have to be in our late 30s early 40s. I sure am.  ;D

We are initially thinking of a color ZS remake, and have begun work on another project, titled literally "MidKnight" that will be a nice jump. Ironically, I started writing MidKnight in 2000 as the sequel to ZS, but never took it farther than a script and concept. Now, with more memory, more power, we can have a lot of fun on the TI platform. I also started work through root kits on the Nintendo DS awhile ago with great success, so we are interested in these platforms as well as mobile, which is clearly the future.

As for coming back, the TI community was where it all started for me, and I have always felt I want to give this community all I can, from the tutorials I wrote for ASM back in the day, to the games I made. Some young kid out there somewhere will be inspired and become great through people like us. People like us are the Jimmy Mardell's of our time. I remember talking a lot with Patrick Davidson and Jimmy back in our golden days. I want to give that back to this community and let them know, even after the major crash of this community after about 2005 that they are not forgotten. Hell, my games have got me major programming jobs in my professional career.

Good to see you and glad to be back!

JamesV

It is cool to see Midknight Software back! I must admit, I've not played FFD or ZS, as back at the time I didn't have a TI-89 or TI-92, but I remember being very impressed with what I'd seen! It will be great to see what you come up with Kodi! :)

I think Patrick D is probably the longest serving TI-community member still around at ~20 years. I'll hit 20 years myself next year too, but it's hard to not still get a kick out of programming on graphing calculators :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah the good thing about TI calculators is that if you want to pursue a carreer in programming then they can help a lot, since even with TI-BASIC you kinda learn basic programming concepts.