Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Choices for a new calc

Started by E37, April 24, 2017, 07:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E37

Ok, I'm heading off to college soon and am thinking of buying a new calc. I will probably get some version of the nSpire or ti89. I am looking for a good balance between math functions and programming abilities. It would be nice to know if some professors ban a certain calc. Speed doesn't play a big role but any programming restrictions would be nice. (I won't consider a calc that has only basic)
Does anyone have any comments on what I should choose?
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

Dream of Omnimaga

The Nspire CX, but make sure it can run Ndless first. It festures Lua, C, ASM, MicroPython, Squirrel and other languages. Basic on the CX sucks, though, compared to the 89, and neither calc has a significant userbase

The HP Prime is a nice alternative too. Its Basic rivals Axe and C in speed
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 24, 2017, 07:45:23 PM
The Nspire CX, but make sure it can run Ndless first. It festures Lua, C, ASM, MicroPython, Squirrel and other languages. Basic on the CX sucks, though, compared to the 89, and neither calc has a significant userbase
*Nspire cx cas. Not worth it without the cas, imo, unless you need it for tests n stuff.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right, I tend to forget there are two kinds. I agree that the regular version is kinda obsolete now that the 84+CE is a thing, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

AmazoNKA

Don't forget new casio fx-cg50 is coming out too

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's a good alternative too. Keep in mind, however, that if you can't understand C nor ASM and wanted something like Axe/ICE/Grammer, though, then forget about Casio calcs other than the fx-9860gII (which I bet will be discontinued soon anyway)

p2

Quote from: E37 on April 24, 2017, 07:25:02 PM
Ok, I'm heading off to college soon and am thinking of buying a new calc. I will probably get some version of the nSpire or ti89. I am looking for a good balance between math functions and programming abilities. It would be nice to know if some professors ban a certain calc. Speed doesn't play a big role but any programming restrictions would be nice. (I won't consider a calc that has only basic)
Does anyone have any comments on what I should choose?

If u want a TI nSphire CAS for free pls PM me ur adress.
Fully functional, only battery back and the thingy covering the battery pack are missing (dont need that one anyways if u use regular batteries)
Edit: this got totally nothing to do with https://codewalr.us/2055/56361  9_9

nüf <3
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

p2

Doublepost, yay  :thumbsup:

Sorry to tell you but the calc is no longer available. looks like @Strontium was the first one contacting me ^^
This originally wasn't ment as a "whoever answers first will win" thingy but who cares.
One free calc for @Strontium. congrats to the winner.

Guess the next time it'll be either a TI nSphire CX CAS or a TI84+, we'll see.
(got a few calcs I havent used in ages and it'd be a waste if someone else would love to work on them)

Edit: just realized shipping to USA isnt much cheaper than shipping to Canada x.x
But again same fee for up to 2kg. Anything else u wish for from Germany? ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Strontium

Quote from: p2 on May 03, 2017, 10:29:42 PM
Doublepost, yay  :thumbsup:

Sorry to tell you but the calc is no longer available. looks like @Strontium was the first one contacting me ^^
This originally wasn't ment as a "whoever answers first will win" thingy but who cares.
One free calc for @Strontium. congrats to the winner.

Guess the next time it'll be either a TI nSphire CX CAS or a TI84+, we'll see.
(got a few calcs I havent used in ages and it'd be a waste if someone else would love to work on them)

Edit: just realized shipping to USA isnt much cheaper than shipping to Canada x.x
But again same fee for up to 2kg. Anything else u wish for from Germany? ^^

Thank you ^^ and nah
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Enlightened Ingression

I also believe that the HP Prime would be great for you. It's BASIC is really fast and is great for other functions as well. Plus it has CAS.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I agree. The speed of some commands, especially polygons and graphics, is similar to CE C. Only for loops and stuff like that are on the slow side but even then a Mario game with parallax scrolling is feasible.

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 18, 2017, 12:16:51 AM
Yeah I agree. The speed of some commands, especially polygons and graphics, is similar to CE C. Only for loops and stuff like that are on the slow side but even then a Mario game with parallax scrolling is feasible.
TIBASIC had the potential to be slightly faster, but the parser is kinda bodged together, TI doesn't have good programmers it seems <_<

Dream of Omnimaga

This is why some people wanted to make their own interpreter before (which happened recently on the fx-9860). It would be a considerable amount of work, although one could simply just rewrite the graphical commands and For loops, maybe. That said, it was still amazing to see what monochrome calcs could achieve without a single line of Axe/Grammer/xLIB/Celtic/ASM O.O