Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+CE] Oiram CE

Started by MateoConLechuga, September 10, 2016, 07:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MateoConLechuga

Oiram is a Mario-like platformer for the CE:

Oiram Download: Download
Oiram Level Editor: Download

tr1p1ea

Looks awesome, you can tell it uses the OS input routine tho, but that's a good sign since you should be able to get things going faster without it.

Will be following progress on this as will lots of other people no doubt :).

Dream of Omnimaga

That looks amazing Mateo. I was wondering if that project was still alive or not so I'm glad it is. Which power-ups and enemies do you plan to add? Do you also plan to add working pipes? I don't think there's any calc Mario clone with working pipes except Super Mario 68K. Keep up the good work :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

MateoConLechuga

Since this is in C, adding working pipes will be a breeze. I'm almost finished with the map editior, at least for the tiles and saving/loading, enemies and other things  will come later once I decide how I want to make those work.

TIfanx1999

Not meaning to nitpick, but those are Super Mario Bros. 3 sprites from Super Mario All stars. They aren't from Super Mario World. Anyhow, looks good regardless. :thumbsup:

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol I didn't notice the SMW in the first post actually. When I first saw the screenshot it used SMB1 sprites. Also those SMB3 sprites are from the Super Nintendo version.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Will it be possible to speed up the tile mapper and add 1 pixel scrolling?
Anyways mario is something a lot of people will enjoy playing ;)

Edit: saw the note of it being 80% speed. ;)

MateoConLechuga

The tile mapper can easily move at any pixel increment possible. I chose it to be blocks for the tile map editor. Remember, it is cruising faster than the old asm version.

Dream of Omnimaga

I am definitively curious about how fast the game would be with smooth scrolling. On the CSE I remember that with some calculations, we determined that a smooth scrolling platformer would scroll at 20 FPS max horizontally due to the time it takes to redraw enemies, the character, erase them and draw the missing column of tiles. And that was in half-resolution mode. That number would drop around 8 FPS with animated tiles or vertical scrolling.

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 11, 2016, 05:40:49 AM
I am definitively curious about how fast the game would be with smooth scrolling. On the CSE I remember that with some calculations, we determined that a smooth scrolling platformer would scroll at 20 FPS max horizontally due to the time it takes to redraw enemies, the character, erase them and draw the missing column of tiles. And that was in half-resolution mode. That number would drop around 8 FPS with animated tiles or vertical scrolling.
It is currently running at around 33-34 fps. The tilemap engine has no concept of scolling, it just redraws the whole thing depening on input offsets:

gfx_Tilemap( tilemap, offset_x, offset_y );

With enemies and the characters and movement and everything I predict it will go no slower than 23-25 fps or so.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see. I think it's fine to redraw everything every frame if you have enough speed to afford it, especially on that calculator. I wonder how many enemies will there be on the screen? I remember Mario 83+, SMB series and stuff slowed down when there were more than 3 in the screen.

kotu

Quote from: MateoConLechuga on September 11, 2016, 05:46:31 AM
It is currently running at around 33-34 fps. The tilemap engine has no concept of scolling, it just redraws the whole thing depening on input offsets:

I only am getting around 21-25 fps on my build (different game) I'm using 16x16 tiles is that why?
Thx
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dudeman313

Wow! I didn't know when this was getting updated. It's awesome! Have you started thinking about what Mario sprites to use?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

xMarminq_

• Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: xMarminq_ on October 15, 2016, 01:14:14 AM
When Pls!!!!!!!!
Not until you make something on your own. I'm sick of having to write all the things.