Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Have you ever met a calculator community member in real life?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, June 24, 2016, 03:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Eh, we have the same problems here. As I heard, it's kinda hard to get to the Montréal Island as well. Although the few times I went it wasn't that bad, probably because I went outside the rush hours. Same for Québec City, the bridges are mostly always congested at rush hours.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I see what you mean now. I thought you meant hard to get there in terms of being in the middle of nowhere in Pacific Ocean or being an island of like 9 people with no airport nor harbor.

And yes traffic in Montreal is ridiculous, but not as bad as in NYC area. If Long Island traffic is that bad, then no wonder why nobody went to Islanders hockey games back then...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

::CMG (UTOPIA)::

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 22, 2016, 08:29:20 PM
If Long Island traffic is that bad

I think you misunderstood me... Long Island traffic is actually not as bad as the city traffic or even Queens traffic for that matter.  Long Island is made up of two counties (Nassau & Suffolk, which represents the "body and tail" of the island respectfully). Queens and Brooklyn make up the head of the island but are not considered part of long island but rather part of the 5 Burrows (Bronx, Staten Island, and Manhattan being the other 3).  What I was insinuating was regardless whether you're getting on or off the island, you're always going to have a difficult time and have half to most of your day spent on the road because of multiple things (congestion, accidents, construction, stupid people, etc...) preventing you from getting to where you gotta go in/out of the island.  If you're coming into long island, once you pass Queens, its smooth sailing the rest of the way cause you have officially entered into Nassau County and Long Island in general.

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

I thought I had posted here before, but... ?

Anyway, I only wanted to mention I met Jim & Stefan Bauwens and Vogtinator while at the FOSDEM 2017 conference a "few days" ago.
(I had already seen Jim actually)

That said, the list of other community people I've met in the past includes, in alphabetical order: critor, Elfprince, Excale, Jim Bauwens, KermM, Laurae, Levak, Lionel Debroux, Merth (+ some TIers that have been active (some many years ago, some more recently) in the community by publishing stuff etc., but idk if that counts :P).
I almost met DJ and Juju, too, while I was in Québec.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow, nice to hear. I didn't know you got to meet them in person. Which reminds me, I haven't seen Stefan in ages. I also didn't know Lionel had met any community member IRL (there was not a single picture of himself ever posted anywhere online during his entire stay in the TI community).

Too bad I couldn't meet you, but it would have been hard to do so as you were in Montreal only during school year and I worked all weekends. The only time I would have been able to meet you is on tuesdays, most likely. Not to mention I and especially Juju would not have been able to afford the bus trip (and possibly hotel) there. >.<

Personally so far I met Aaroneusthegreat in 2009, Juju multiple times from 2010 to present (not as much now due to aforementioned money issues) and PatrickD last Summer.

p2

wow I never saw this topic before...

I met @Sorunome a few times in the past (no photos sorry) and plan on meeting @DarkestEx and maybe also @p4nix this year ^^
Also I might meet @kotu during summer :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Sorunome

Quote from: p2 on February 19, 2017, 06:44:49 PM
wow I never saw this topic before...

I met @Sorunome a few times in the past (no photos sorry) [...]
We should meet again

Oh, and i've also met turiqwalrus a few times
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

Dream of Omnimaga

That is cool :D. Also I didn't know Kotu was really going to Germany O.O

* DJ Omnimaga wonders if anyone here plans to head to Canada next Summer once the snow melted on July 1st <_<

p2

kotu is indeed planning on coming to germany xD
It'S not decided for sure yet, but we're thinking about it :)
(hiking for a few days, plus meeting me one day)

aaand I already thought about that, DJ, but I guess it'd be expensive...
plus I dont want to destroy my illusion of you being n actual walrus  9_9
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol I would definitively like to meet you anyway, :walrii: or not :P. Otherwise we can always meet at the Quebec Aquarium if you ever come here :P

And yeah such trip would be expensive, especially the hotel if you came during Summer, holidays or the Winter Carnival <_< (although if I was in vacation during the entire trip then an hotel would not be necessary :P).

kotu

i can't really go hiking for a few days on my own p2 knows that but i may be going to germany yes

also would consider visiting dj  :crazy:
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol yeah I don't think I would spend multiple days hiking alone. We never know what can happen. In Quebec in some areas there are bears in the woods, so if you have food with you then say good bye to your food (and they can be deadly unless you know how to deal with bears). There are probably maps of areas at risk, though. I tend to prefer wandering around the city or nearby areas anyway lol

p2

so there are high chances u can capture a wild bear and tame it when hiking in canada? O.O
I definitely need one ^.^

kotu

i know how to deal with bears.... you maintain eye contact and back away slowly.... thats my bear grylls training  (-_(//));
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk