Mega-update (a.k.a. I forgot to crosspost, sorry)
I did all kinds of awesome things yesterday!
I eliminated all kinds of bugs that were present. This took a long time, as most of these bugs seemed to be caused by something that wasn't actually causing them. (i.e. all of the evidence pointed to my RNG routine modifying some internal variables, but it was actually because I deleted a few extra lines of code while trying to remove a comment).
I decided to make the menu options titlecase, only because I'm lazy and making them all uppercase would make me add 3 chars instead of 1
I also added the code to draw in the multiplier. It pads the score to a length of 4, but I'm working on modifying my score-drawing routine so it only pads it to 2.
I also made the menu options functional! Before, both options would lead to "playing".
Here's a gif showing all of the changes I made today!
We are really close to release! I hope to have this project done before school starts for me on the 30th.
Mateo suggested that I make the snails "crawl" towards the player instead of "jumping". This is a fantastic idea, so I implemented it.
Here's what it looks like: (this is very slow, but the speed is easily adjustable)
I've decided that the snails at the top are going to do a little attack animation (I'll shift them up quickly, then shift them back down, to make it look like they are biting or whatever), then I'll make them fly out to the left.
The new snails coming in from the bottom will quickly fly in from the bottom in their own animation. I can't gradually make them slide in without lots of changes to my code, because I calculate the new snail row after the shifting is done.
I redid my timer code. Before I had one timer, but now I have two timers. The first one is the time between the shifting up of the snails. When it completes, I decrement the second timer, which is the time between new snail rows and eventually the animations.
I might try to stagger the movement of the snails within each row so it looks more realistic, but that's a lot of work.
Thank you so much Mateo, this suggestion made this game look a lot better!