Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[calcs] Having win7 and win10 on the same PC ???

Started by alexgt, July 20, 2015, 12:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

I think that si will upgrade, change is good, hopefully. I might wit a week or two tho.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Yeah, I'll try do the same, using my parents computer as the guinea pig :P They already decided to get it :)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Ooo... I should convince my dad that he should get it and see if it bricks his computer :P

Unicorn

Quote from: alexgt on July 22, 2015, 05:13:32 PM
Ooo... I should convince my dad that he should get it and see if it bricks his computer :P

We are evil hamsters who plot against the parents :P IF it brick the comps, Microsoft is going to have to pay a ton to get everyone a new comp O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

HeHe MONEY$$$$$$$$$ A newplot is revealed

Unicorn

Corrupt the installer... lol that would be illegal. O.O Not good.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

That would be quite cool if I can get my sister to let my PC boot with 10 or 7, I will PM her...

Unicorn

Don't forget about OS X and linux while you are at it! ;)

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

chelsey-dagger

Quote from: alexgt on July 20, 2015, 04:24:36 PM
Even better when you pretend you know nothing (which is true as far as this) and let her do everything, I might even learn something :P

Caught in the act! Haha.

Yeah I should be able to help. For the most part though, Windows 10 should be completely compatible with anything that runs on Windows 8, and from what I know about the programs you use, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues. Just a learning curve as the design is quite different. There's not going to be any chance of bricking the machine with an upgrade, you just might want to back up your data beforehand (which you should be doing anyways!).

Dual-booting two versions of Windows is trickier than dual-booting Windows and Linux, but it can be done. *Edit to add:* Actually now that I think of it, the tricky part has been gone for years, it should be super straightforward. In any case, I can help you upgrade and/or dual boot next time I visit.

Unicorn

That reminds me, I should get a backup drive or something of the sort. O.O

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Unicorn

And while you do that, I'll b setting up a linux partition.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Strontium

Try Linux. You shall be enlightened!

Or you might completely hate it because you hate the concept of having to install stuff from the command line. Like, what? What is this nonsense?

seriously though, I suggest you try out linux with Linux Mint, Fedora, or Antergos (in order from most user friendly to least user friendly. Antergos is basically Arch Linux without the install process). Some people will recommend you try first with Arch Linux, but don't, unless you are fully aware that it will be hard and you're willing to take the challenge, even as a newbie.

Quote from: Unicorn on July 22, 2015, 05:18:10 PM
Quote from: alexgt on July 22, 2015, 05:13:32 PM

We are evil hamsters who plot against the parents :P IF it brick the comps, Microsoft is going to have to pay a ton to get everyone a new comp O.O
It wont brick them. Unless you majorly mess up the BIOS, all you will need to do is reinstall the OS.

Even if you do muck up the BIOS, a few motherboards have backup BIOS that they will restore from. Some other motherboards have the BIOS stored on a removable EEPROM that you can write a new BIOS to.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

alexgt

I my mom used to use linux mint but my sister sett it all up for her :P