Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[PC/Nspire CX/CX CAS] Undertale battle engine

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, March 01, 2016, 10:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

TL;DR

I tried to reprogram most of Undertale's battle engine to see if it'd have fit the calculator. It works at a decent 60FPS and did what I wanted to see on my calc. Don't expect me to do more because studies and project.

Links

- Video :
- Game : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23313407/UT_Demo.zip (Windows 32 bits, Linux 64 bits and Ti-Nspire CX/CX CAS versions provided. The linux versions requires SFML 2.3 IIRC, could you give me some infos and help on how to bundle libs, please?)

/!\Disclaimer  (for Nspires) : the screen timer not being totally stable, it might flicker. If it does, expect to see your calc reboot when you exit the game. THe cause of this is actually unknown and I'm still waiting for help to fix it Github ticket of the issue.

Things already said
Well, sorry for the long wait, I was expecting to release it on some project but I couldn't wait. Oh well, here's already the previous posts for a little bit of context :
from r/Undertale
and
from r/Undertale

Installation
Nspire
Put "UT_Demo" in a folder and the data next to this file. I

Commands
PC
- Arrows keys : move
- W : Acts as a A button : validate
- X acts as a B button : Cancel
- Backspace : Quit the game (no other way to exit)

Nspire
- 8546 : move
- Ctrl : Acts as a A button : validate
- Shift acts as a B button : Cancel
- Esc : Quit the game (no other way to exit)

Why, again, did you do this sh**?
First of all, wosh u mouth, and then, because I like to make games, and I ,, make calculator games. I learnt to prgram with them, can now make computer games and small/medium gamedev projects with them but my developper heart will always beat a bit for programming on such restricted devices (not so powerful, not having a lot of memory, etc...)

EDIT 1 : Oh, did I forgot to tell that I also loved playing Undertale?

Thoughts/Postmortem

This was... Quite an intersting ride to do. I couldn't do some things because I lacked processor power on the calculator (like basic lua scripting to make enemy AI easier to do) and redo perfectly some effects. I also, when try to figure if lua could fit for such device, envisaged to redo the whole Undertale demo but I quickly realized that I wouldn't have the determination and the time to do so. I was honnestly growing a bit sick of this project and did some dirty programming on the last parts because I wanted to get it done. I wanted it first to be as flexible as I could to end it up quite closed on the end. Oh well, it works, that's the most important, no? I wish I could have the patience to do the easter eggs I wanted...

So, C++, only C++, the core game engine being done in C++, the funniest part was fighting against references and rvalues (black magic things). Honnestly, Managing resources (files, sprites, textures) is far from being actually easy. Another fun part was programming the external tools to allow me to bundle files in the data files (the .wrf ones) (in Python) and test it. Lots of fun when it would crash. Heeh.

What to add now? Well, the game looks bland compared to some fangames (I really enjoyed RED for instance or that Gaster fight) and will not have any sound as the sound/music abstraction doesn't exist yet. Sorry, guys. You wanna might listen to some music, why not this remix I used from Komissar for the video?

Last word

Thanks for reading, have fun playing, don't hesitate to poke me with all your feedbacks. It was a fun sideproject, I did it for myself, for some friends I discovered via this subreddit and I wish you all lucks with your own projects. o7
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Yuki

There's already an effort to rewrite the battle engine from Undertale (see https://www.reddit.com/r/Unitale/), but it's made in Unity (which isn't very portable and kinda huge for what we need for it) and, as I write these lines, isn't open source yet. Nice to see you're doing it in SFML and that it works on the Nspire and pretty much every device you can compile SFML for.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dudeman313

I was playing and this happened during the battle...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwyNDLXJtz_aaFpycjlERjA5a1E/view?usp=sharing
What just happened during that attack I made?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah a @Duke "Tape" Eiyeron draws near :3=

This looks very cool and polished. I wish it could have been made into a full game, but it's a nice engine nonetheless. Maybe someone could re-use this in another RPG or even a full remake or clone of Undertale (assuming your engine is open-source and stuff)

It's nice to see you still do calc stuff, by the way. We wish that you would share some of your progress with us again on CW, since not all of us have time to check Reddit, Github and Twitter :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

That's really cool, man. Now port the whole game to nspire. :trollface:
ceci n'est pas une signature

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: Juju on March 01, 2016, 11:45:28 PM
There's already an effort to rewrite the battle engine from Undertale (see https://www.reddit.com/r/Unitale/), but it's made in Unity (which isn't very portable and kinda huge for what we need for it) and, as I write these lines, isn't open source yet. Nice to see you're doing it in SFML and that it works on the Nspire and pretty much every device you can compile SFML for.
COudln't make Nspire's lua work fast enough and coudln't make luajit (Just In Time lua compiler) work with Ndless' SDK (symboles replaces for builtin lua syscalls each time).

Quote from: aeTIos on March 03, 2016, 09:33:45 AM
That's really cool, man. Now port the whole game to nspire. :trollface:
No.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 02, 2016, 03:30:18 AM

This looks very cool and polished. I wish it could have been made into a full game, but it's a nice engine nonetheless. Maybe someone could re-use this in another RPG or even a full remake or clone of Undertale (assuming your engine is open-source and stuff)

It's not for legal reasons (don't want to get sued for this also contains stuff that might be under copyright, I dunno).
I haven't got any questions on if someone wanted to continue the project so welp.
Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 02, 2016, 02:16:53 AM
I was playing and this happened during the battle...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwyNDLXJtz_aaFpycjlERjA5a1E/view?usp=sharing
What just happened during that attack I made?

YOu actualyl have the last public version, I already fiex that but welp, keeping as it is because it's a PITA to compile a GCC/Makefile thing for Windows.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Yuki

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on March 04, 2016, 08:52:26 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 02, 2016, 03:30:18 AM

It's not for legal reasons (don't want to get sued for this also contains stuff that might be under copyright, I dunno).
I haven't got any questions on if someone wanted to continue the project so welp.
Toby Fox approved a fanmade Undertale game the other day, iirc. You might even propose him to port his game to Linux or whatever handheld device and he might say yes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

It's generally better to ask permission for such elaborate fan game. For old TI calc games, people never bothered because most 83+/9860G fan games were much more limited than the original, often less polished and people figured that companies would not care, but with color calcs this could pose problem and nowadays some companies are much more copyright-conscious.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U