Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Issues with .zip file extraction

Started by Luxen, May 11, 2016, 11:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luxen

I was working on a tool for a game I've been (overly) engrossed in recently, and ran into an issue.

The software I was developing failed to unzip a .zip file; the utility used to unzip the files is from an external source, so I don't have control over it, merely I tell it what to unzip and where to unzip stuff over the command line.

Im able to get the software to work on my computer, but it didn't work on others. My guess is that security on my computer is lowered a tad, allowing the utility to unzip files to otherwise protected areas (namely C:\Program files\Vendetta\ ); is anyone familiar enough with windows to confirm? is there any good way to get around this, so the software works (even if I have to use a different method for extracting files)?

Here is a link to the program itself, though it wont run properly without the game installed:
https://www.vendetta-online.com/x/msgboard/16/31392
  • Calculators owned: TI-83, Ti-83+, Ti-84+, Ti-84+CE, TI-86, Casio Prizm

Luxen

alright, so I found a number of bugs and fixed them, and now there is only one issue remaining with the utility (that I have found); If the user doesn't run the application as administrator, then it cannot extract to the required location (much the same issue as before).

Bugs fixed include allowing the tool to grab plugins from a location with spaces in its name (example: C:\T n l\.....), and some small glitches with program detection.

the application now tests if it has admin priviledges, but it cant do anything about it other than display an error message and how to fix it; I'd rather it attempt to fix the problem itself. is there a way to run a program from the command line WITH admin priviledges?

alexgt

I am glad you kinda got it solved but I am sadly no help to you really. Could it be that yo need admin rights to operate certain commands on the cmd
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Luxen

you need admin rights to have write access to C:\Program files\<insert blah here>, for obvious security reasons.

SiphonicSugar

Yeah, I'm guessing that when you run cmd on other people's computers, you are not running elevated cmd.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P