Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What multiplayer games would you play?

Started by Yuki, August 25, 2015, 02:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

I had this idea since a while for CodeWalrus, but I never really had the time or a good computer/Internet connection to do that, now I have some, I'll ask you guys, what multiplayer game would you play? It should be a game that should play over the internet, that can allow a private server software to be installed, or at least creation of a dedicated group or games. (MMOs also count :P) Also when you'd be available in a week?

Every once in a while, there will be events where we all contest each other in a game, could be the same one each time or not. There will be (non-monetary) prizes and lots of fun! The goal here is to give some way to relax once in a while with other CW members and to keep members interested. So, whatcha think? I'll give you a few days to think about it, while I'll be busy with life some more. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Unicorn

Sounds like fun! I'd definitely play minecraft, or some variant of it, or LoL, or Dota 2!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Starcraft 1 and 2 or Warcraft III would be fun. If enough people had a Wii U we could have tried SSB4 tournaments as well. I also played Halo quite a bit in the past on Xbox Live

It doesn't really have to be a contest, though. It could just be to plan some games together and have fun.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Oh, yeah, and the game should probably free. I know I can't buy any games. (saving for some things)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Starcraft II has a free version that lets you play multiplayer custom games, but you can only use Terran race. It's called Starcraft II Starter Edition (available on Battle.net)

QuoteThe FREE Starter Edition of StarCraft II gives you access to the first five missions of the Wings of Liberty single-player campaign, all three races and custom games in multiplayer, and the entirety of the Arcade.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 25, 2015, 06:12:46 AM
If enough people had a Wii U we could have tried SSB4 tournaments as well. I also played Halo quite a bit in the past on Xbox Live

We should keep it PC :P

But yeah, minecraft definitely, but with some modpack (not too heavy though) because vanilla minecraft gets boring very soon.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

brentmaas

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on August 25, 2015, 01:59:12 PM
But yeah, minecraft definitely, but with some modpack (not too heavy though) because vanilla minecraft gets boring very soon.
Agree. I don't think experience with setting up Minecraft servers lacks here, I'll make sure of that.

Quote from: Unicorn on August 25, 2015, 06:18:16 AM
Oh, yeah, and the game should probably free. I know I can't buy any games. (saving for some things)
'Acquire' binaries some way and:
#server.properties
online-mode=false

The fact that all authentication is dropped might be quite the downside, though.
Lel I glitched Omni

TheMachine02

Quote from: brentmaas on August 25, 2015, 02:13:47 PM
The fact that all authentication is dropped might be quite the downside, though.

As long the IP isn't share publicy, I guess it is fine. There is plugins who can resolve this too.

Dream of Omnimaga

Minecraft with modpacks would be nice as long as it's not too many.

Hayleia

I would totally play Splatoon in Minecraft.
I tried it on a "random" server once, but it was annoying because people kept coming in and out, we were either more than 8 or less but never 8, and it lacked that atmosphere there is when you play with friends (or at least people you know).

No idea when I'm available though (not that I'm not, just that I don't know when).

Yuki

Ideally, the server should be made private so we can't see it in any public listing other than on the forums here.

Otherwise, we can easily alternate between different games, so if a particular user don't own the game this time, the next time it'll most likely be a free game or one they own.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Hayleia on August 25, 2015, 06:09:31 PM
I would totally play Splatoon in Minecraft.
I tried it on a "random" server once, but it was annoying because people kept coming in and out, we were either more than 8 or less but never 8, and it lacked that atmosphere there is when you play with friends (or at least people you know).

No idea when I'm available though (not that I'm not, just that I don't know when).
That's a problem with Starcraft II. At the start of every game there is always 1 or 2 people lagging out or leaving on their own >.<

By the way, Omnimaga had a few Starcraft tournaments in the past. Most notably the 2010 or 2011 one where four people did a round robin against each others. The replays are still available on Omni I think. A 2007 tournament was also attempted but it was scrapped after I lost Internet access.

Yuki

I don't really play Starcraft, but I could probably organise such tournaments.

Anyway, if something happens, it's not before I finish moving. Definitely around next week this time.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Unicorn

If the game is maxed out at 5 players, we could always use Hamachi...

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

The problem with Hamachi is that it doesn't work that great over long distances. I once tried to play Starcraft Brood War (which had a LAN multiplayer option) with Hamachi against someone who lived 2K miles away and the lag was just unbearable. Unless that got fixed?