Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

SDL/n2DLib ports for TI Nspire

Started by gameblabla, August 19, 2015, 08:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

True, but did it also archive the downloads? Sometimes it doesn't (eg on Kevtiva Interactive it didn't archive Flash Gordon for the TI-83+ so I had an hard time finding it)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 15, 2015, 09:44:37 PM
True, but did it also archive the downloads? Sometimes it doesn't (eg on Kevtiva Interactive it didn't archive Flash Gordon for the TI-83+ so I had an hard time finding it)

Yes it did.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

That's good, then. While archive.org is great, it doesn't always grab everything, which is a shame since some stuff still gets lost forever.

The robots.txt exclusion glitch is also very annoying. Instead of using the archived robots.txt, archive.org uses the robots.txt that is used currently on the domain name, meaning that if your robots.txt allowed archive.org to crawl the site back in 2005, then if the domain name squatter decides in 2013 to disallow archive.org bots, then all the past cached pages on archive.org are hidden from public.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Guys, good news !
Retroguru (finally) released their digital downloads to the public !
You can download the TI Nspire CX port right here :
http://www.retroguru.com/fruity/fruity-v.latest-tinspirecx.zip

A note :
PocketSNES is based on Snes9x 1.43, it is unrelated to PocketSNES on GBA which has a completely different codebase and is closed-source.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yay! I will give this a try when I have some time. It definitively looks very good. By the way I am curious if the Dreamcast supports multiple resolutions or are their graphics just scaled up on that hardware? Because I was surprised that it used 320x240 for this game.

Also I didn't know about PocketSNES. Thanks for clarifying. :)

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 23, 2015, 05:33:57 AMBy the way I am curious if the Dreamcast supports multiple resolutions or are their graphics just scaled up on that hardware? Because I was surprised that it used 320x240 for this game.
The Dreamcast supports several resolutions, yeah.
Most uses 640x480 but a programmer can decide to choose any other resolution within the hardware restrictions. (Pier Solar comes to my mind)
You can even go beyond that with the VGA adapter.

In general though, doing scaling on old hardware like the Dreamcast is useless (unless required) and a waste of resources.
Only quick homebrew ports are maybe using scaling. (and performence always suffer as a result)
The same thing for the TI Nspire too.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

I thought that the dreamcast version of Pier Solar was higher resolution with the updated graphics?

And I see. On the HP Prime and 84+CSE, downscaling actually improves performance because it takes less time to draw stuff and on the HP Prime displaying the final result scaled up doesn't cause any significant slowdown.

novenary

Yay.
And yeah a lot of consoles support multiple resolutions. The SNES, N64, GameCube and Wii can all do either 240p or 480i, and GC/Wii can do 480p. Newer consoles are even better at that but they don't really have any problems with scaling. Some games actually switch the resolution while running. For example Ocarina of Time runs at 240p in-game but the menus are in 480i.

Ivoah

Think you could port mGBA to the Nspire? It's supposed to be pretty fast and easy to port. There's already an SDL frontend, but I'm sure you would get better speeds by using something else.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

novenary

That would be a great idea, mGBA runs great even on the gamecube where GBA emulation was thought to be impossible. It doesn't have JIT though I think which might be a limiting factor on the Nspire (pretty sure gpsp does but don't quote me on this).

Hayleia

What would be the benefits of mGBA over gpSP (which is already available for CX) ? More compatibility ? Less RAM usage to run on monochrome too ?

novenary

mGBA is a fairly recent emulator, it's designed mainly for embedded systems with low resources and it's extremely fast even without a dynamic recompiler, without sacrificing emulation accuracy. Even if it turns out slower than gpSP, it would still be interesting to port it, 1) just for the hell of it and 2) it might actually be better than gpSP in the end, can't know till you try. :)

Ivoah

Quote from: Hayleia on November 05, 2015, 06:12:10 PM
What would be the benefits of mGBA over gpSP (which is already available for CX) ? More compatibility ? Less RAM usage to run on monochrome too ?

Pretty much what Streetwalrus said, it's newer and designed to be fast+portable.

novenary

I took a look at the dependencies, it seems more than feasible to port it. All of the external deps are actually there for extra features that we don't need or can't implement on the nspire due to platform restrictions (debugger, video and audio capture, screenshots, compressed roms). The latter two features are actually possible on the nspire though so we can look into it. These require zlib (included with ndless), libpng (compiles directly) and libzip (never tried but should be trivial).

Dream of Omnimaga

I assume it would be nice to have that emulator ported if it can run more games than gpSP too, but I don't know which one has the highest compatibility.