* WalrusIRC

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: The end of CodeWalrus?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +95/-4
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
Re: The end of CodeWalrus? (read post before voting)
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:50:12 am »
I see that a lot of people are voting for a new site, but I voted for stay-as-is because I think it's more realistic. I don't perceive anyone having enough time to code a new site. For what it's worth, if you set up a patreon you could get a monthly subscription, that might help and I'd pay a few dollars - it'd help if a few people could pay a few dollars a month.

I agree that merging with Omnimaga is silly - they're propped up by an active admin, which is very important, but they are even less active than here, and certainly less free atmosphere, even though it'd be nice to have their members.
If option 1 gets voted, it will take much longer to happen than option 2 and 3 for that very reason. But this is also why we are looking at a software that would implement most of what we need by default (Danbooru, Discourse, Flarum comes to mind, but we could just switch to PhpBB 3.2, which implements some of the important interactivity features we need). SMF 2.1 won't come out until 2023 or so, NodeBB is a resource hog, Invisionboard is insecure, VBulletin costs money like Invisionboard and those SMF forks don't seem to implement anything significant that would justify going for a fork with an uncertain future (since hobbyist projects tend to be stopped after just a few years)

And of course if that software has a script (even if not official) to convert the current data to their format then that's even better.

There still remains the fact this won't double our userbase overnight, though, and some of the older users might hate it, but again it's not like many people post that often on CW. I think one week we didn't even have a single user that made 10 posts. Maybe someone skilled enough could do a bridge for older members so that if they post on the SMF site it auto-posts via their account on the new site and vice-versa to please everyone but I doubt that would happen fast. If option 1 wins then I would rather have this done before school starts.
I don't know where i will go next, i don't like how cluttered ti-planet is and i feel like they're less tolerant of my pointless trolling...
But it's probably going to be the only realistic option, if ti-planet can survive of course.
The IRC and Discord channels will remain open no matter what happens to the site.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:51:43 am by xlibman »
  • Calculators owned: TI-57, 73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX (semi-broken), HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games