Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How to start programming ASM or BASIC for scrubs like me who don't know anything

Started by xMarminq_, November 01, 2016, 01:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Hayleia on November 01, 2016, 07:00:34 AM
Quote from: kotu on November 01, 2016, 05:50:58 AM
ASM is way too difficult for most
ASM is way too difficult for most people who already learned another language and are used to thinking high level. FTFY.
Not saying it's easy for people who never learned any language, but really, I've even seen people who grew up with Java complain when they learned C even though they're both imperative and with a readable syntax (though I agree that Java may have more facilities than C, Java vs C is still far from Basic vs ASM...), so it's obvious that a big part of the problem is people being used to other ways of thinking.
Yeah, I noticed that several of the people who successfully learned ASM only had like 2 months of TI-BASIC experience and nothing else. It seemed like once they mastered TI-BASIC and got used to how it works, then it was over.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

xMarminq_

PROGRESS WITH CODING (BASIC)
--0-9 Guessing Game--
Code:
:Prompt A
:If  A=1
:Stop
:If  A=2
:If  A=3
:If  A=4
:If  A=5
:If  A=6
:If  A=7
:If  A=8
:If  A=9
:If  A=0
:Prompt B
:If B=

(All I got to, cuz that one one problem

--Password System--
Code:
:Prompt K
:If K=42
:Then
:A=42
:Else
:End
:If K=42
:Then
:Output(2,2,"ACCESS GRANTED"

Help with clearing screen, pls?

This one may be expandable as a system to have code stored in it, and have these passwords be the doors to the code. If I wanted to, I may add a feature where you can add or create an account.

• Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

p2

if Possible, just the [code] ... [/code] tags to surround your code. That'll make it easier for us :)

About your code:
If <condition>
Then
<action 1>
Else
<action 2>
End

if you don't have an action2 then you don't need the Else, too.
The ELSE isn'd obligatory, you only use it if you want to define an action if the condition above is NOT met :)
Just change it to this:
If <condition>
Then
<action 1>
End

For your first code:
It seems you want to define a special action (returning some text) in one case and stop the program in all other cases.
That'd be the perfect plase to use ELSE:
If <correct number>
Then
<display stuff>
Else
<Stop the program>
End

for clearing the homescree you use ClrHome :)
PRGM --> I/O --> 8:ClrHome
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

E37

For your password code...
You have A=42 on its own like.
Are you trying to set A to 42?
To make a letter var equal to a number, use the sto key.
That would be 42->A
Maybe you already know that. Just making sure.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

• Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3

E37

Quote from: kotu on November 03, 2016, 08:17:17 PM
mainly the stuff which would be replaced by a switch in C/C++
;) Or by a LUT in asm...
It is hard to compare basic to a pc language. On the pc you have so much processing power, you can afford to write crappy code. You actually have to optimize in basic.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

kotu

xMarminq_

How about sprites?
If so, can I do it directly from it, since I do it all there?
First, I have to learn Getkey...
I feel that if I ask all of you too much, it will be your project instead of mine  :P

How about making a menu?

kotu

i don't know anything about TI_BASIC i use C on calc

someone else will help you.

have fun :)

xMarminq_

How do you code in C?
And make a menu like yours?

If i continue in BASIC, will I end up with something like Age of Darkness?

Dream of Omnimaga

If you use TI-BASIC then start with text graphics and learn the basics first. Then you can worry about graphics later. To display text use Output() or Text().

kotu

xMarminq_

Can you make app programs on the CE anyways?

I kinda want to make:
Application (So its protected from edits)
-Has a login system, if possible, maybe multiple accounts.
-Have something like the Doors interface on the 84 plus, storing all your programs on the account (doesn't show up on prgm tab).
-Able to transfer those programs protected or not to other people, not to other account on that calculator.
-Coding language options, if possible.