Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[CWick#1] iv.bat ~ Invalidating itself since 2015

Started by brentmaas, September 24, 2015, 07:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, did you guys know that self-modifying code is possible on calculators too? :P (eg in Axe and ASM to store highscores)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

You generally dont want to use SMC, if you use it to store high scores or something, then you will have to do program write back, which isnt even suported in no stub programs, IIRC. Plus writing the program back will take extra time, as well as saturate your archive faster. Lastly you cant even do SMC in apps. SMC is good however for small optimization in programs - where the code modification is destroyed after the program exits (no write back)

Snektron

You can use SMC if you're writing an AI that improves itself :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

I actually considered making SMC a theme of a future contest, would it be too hard to do on calc? If so I guess I'll just do something else, I guess.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Snektron

You need some pretty high asm knowlege for that, so only like 3 people would participate...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

Figured, you'd have to find the right program in the VAT and modify it correctly, you'd need quite some knowledge. Same for PC languages to a certain extent, if you want to do something fancy, although @brentmaas' program is pretty much the simplest thing you can do in terms of SMC.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

c4ooo

Well.. as long as you allow the program to be destroyed after run then it wont be so hard, but its almost imposible to do (My brain auto-corrects to "do to" :P ) byte-by-byte SMC in axe. You could however swap out something like Goto XXXX with goto YYYY quiet easely if you know a thing or two about how axe works under the hood. Yet once again- not all people know that much. Further more, SMC will basicly prevent basic users from competing.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: c4ooo on October 08, 2015, 07:31:52 PM
You generally dont want to use SMC, if you use it to store high scores or something, then you will have to do program write back, which isnt even suported in no stub programs, IIRC. Plus writing the program back will take extra time, as well as saturate your archive faster. Lastly you cant even do SMC in apps. SMC is good however for small optimization in programs - where the code modification is destroyed after the program exits (no write back)
Yeah that's the main issue. You need to make the program require a shell and I hate when it garbage-collects every three minutes because of program writeback.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U