Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Arcade Bugs and Suggestions Thread

Started by Yuki, April 07, 2016, 03:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Welcome to our CodeWalrus Arcade, featuring all your favourite games made by the community for calculators, playable straight from your web browser! Of course, you need a recent browser in order to play.

How to add games
This section is read-only, only staff should be able to add a thread, so if you made a good game just notify the admins or post in this thread and we'll gladly add it, if we're able to compile it for the web, or using an emulator we have that works in Javascript. Games using Javascript, SDL or KnightOS are known to work with the Arcade, although we won't host copyrighted ROMs at this time, so TI-BASIC/Axe/Asm/etc. games are pretty much no. If in doubt, feel free to ask.

How to play
Instructions should be given in each thread.

This section is very experimental, so a few bugs may appear here and there. Make sure you have the latest version of a recent browser before making a bug report.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Something I am curious about is if it would be feasible to track scores. That seems like something that would be hard.

Also it would be much better if some of the older calc games could be converted to HTML5 or something since right now we're pretty much gonna only have Nspire stuff. :P Supersonic Ball would be a nice game to add.

Make sure to not just mindlessly add anything, though. Check licenses first if you have to ask permission or not and stuff like that.

EDIT: Also controls for OMS don't work.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah, I'd ask the author before adding anything. I'm currently investigating why OMS isn't working right, it's weird, it works perfectly not in iframe.

EDIT: Found a kind of workaround...
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

What is the workaround? Also I am curious about what the actual game file is like. :P

EDIT: Keys still don't react (in Opera)

Also, if you can easily alter games, then it would be nice to limit the frame rate to 30 or something.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Opossum is fun! I got a highscore of 1266 :) Awesome idea with the arcade!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

I removed the iframe, finally. Anyway, it's a bunch of C code compiled to Javascript, nice it works this fast.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Snektron

I can't seem to post on arcade threads. When i try to type nothing happens :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

@Juju keys still won't respond even after the change that got rid of the iframe. Tested in Opera 36.0. Even after clicking the game numerous times, it still focuses on WalrusIRC (or elsewhere on the page if I click another text area.

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, @JWinslow23 do you know if Scratch has the ability to export games to be playable on another website, but neither in Java nor Flash format? Because I think Wal-Rush! would be a nice addition to the CW arcade. :)

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 20, 2016, 10:42:26 PM
On a side note, @JWinslow23 do you know if Scratch has the ability to export games to be playable on another website, but neither in Java nor Flash format? Because I think Wal-Rush! would be a nice addition to the CW arcade. :)
I don't know.

Dudeman313

I know Scratch lets you embed things, but I don't know what formats.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, I prefer avoiding using different hosts for arcade games, in case they ever disable hotlinking, change their API or something.

Dudeman313

Well, we could always put Wal-Rush! CE in the arcade section instead, right?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Yuki

If you'd need a copyrighted ROM to play, then no. We could technically propose it in the arcade, but the only issue is that we shouldn't use TI's ROMs. @JWinslow23 if you can give me the link to your Scratch version I might be able look at it.

And yeah we prefer HTML5 over Flash and Java because the latter two are getting obsolete in favor of HTML5 (and Java applets are just being a huge pain nowadays), although we might be able to export Flash animations in HTML5. Also we prefer hosting the files ourselves if we can.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN