Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New member introductions: Say hello here!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 20, 2014, 02:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

By TI Voyager, do you mean the Voyage 200 (the successor of the TI-92+)?

For the CSE, the trick is to only draw what's necessary on the screen. For example, if you make a Mario game, you need to shift the sprite around without redisplaying the entire tilemap every frame. THe LCD also supports horizontal wrap-around, so that can be used for scrolling.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

I don't think the HP Prime price will drop, it's been around for what now, two years ? And I didn't hear of any price drop. Calculators are usually at a fixed price (unless they rebrand them *cough*TI*cough*).

annoyingcalc

I have sorta returned to calculator programming. Working on a new game in axe parser, will post more details soon. I think unlike before, I actually understand how Axe works now :P

Snektron

Quote from: mauriciomunuera on September 23, 2015, 06:24:00 AM
Hi, guys!
This forum talks about EVERYTHING I love. I'm a programmer, have a collection of 8bit computers, am a photographer and artist, and now I'm studying electronics engineering.
I have a huge passion for graphing calculators, and I use them both in math and in art. My favourite ones are the classic HP, but I've been fidgeting with a TI-84+CSE and finding some nice stuff. (I just bought it because it uses a Z80 processor, my favourite processor ever).
Now I'm trying to use an app called Zoom Math on it. It seems pretty cool, but I can't afford the license.
Well, I think that's it. Hope to chat a lot with you guys, and exchange experiences and information.
BTW, sorry for my clumsy english, I'm brazilian.
Best wishes for all!

Welcome! :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 24, 2015, 10:59:33 AM
I don't think the HP Prime price will drop, it's been around for what now, two years ? And I didn't hear of any price drop. Calculators are usually at a fixed price (unless they rebrand them *cough*TI*cough*).
I doubt it will drop now, but if schools starts ditching programmable calcs more and more, then TI, Casio and HP will have no choice to drop programmable calculator prices to convince schools to change their mind or at the very worst convince other schools to not do the same.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

semiprocoder

Hi guys.
I am a young programmer(13), so I may not be that good, but I try. I originally joined this forum because I saw that 4x3 competition, but I didn't have time to finish it and gave up :(. It was in java. I also started programming calculators on my ti 84 plus se that my brother gave me when I was in 6th grade, but I never really tinkered with it, and I tried to make my own gcd function based on euclid's algorthm in basic because I for some reason couldn't find it in the math functions(and I know it is there because I found it), and I also couldn't find mod so I had to make that as well, but I made it use addition so it was not super efficient and it took like 10 seconds to evaluate gcd of some numbers. I had made it in c on my comp a while back and it worked instantly. I had expected the gcd function to at least work at some reasonable speed. When I saw how slow it was I kinda gave up programming ti 84. I tried learning axe and it wasn't hard to grasp, but it's just sooooo annoying to program on calc. Oh yeah now I program in lua for ti nspire, and, hopefully, when ndless for os 4.0 comes out I will hopefully learn to program for ndless. I know c, java, but not graphics for it, so I just use processing when I have to do graphics. I also just joined a zero robotics team, which has done pretty well and even(I think) won once.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice to have you with us Semiprocoder :), also you can program Axe on the computer by the way. You need Tokens or SourceCoder. Also regarding robotics, I think Hooloovoo is in FRC robotics, but I forgot if it was that thing.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 26, 2015, 01:56:12 AM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 24, 2015, 10:59:33 AM
I doubt it will drop now, but if schools starts ditching programmable calcs more and more, then TI, Casio and HP will have no choice to drop programmable calculator prices to convince schools to change their mind or at the very worst convince other schools to not do the same.
Schools aren't dropping them for their high price, but because the government wants "same chances for everybody" and such crap.

Also welcome to CW, Semiprocoder!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I didn'T say they were dropping them for their high price at all, I said they were just dropping them altogether. What I said about the price is that if schools ditch calcs, then TI/Casio/HP will need to lower their prices in order to convince schools that while school wants everyone to have "equal chances", that perhaps it would be a better option for classes to settle for the cheaper alternative that would become programmable calcs. Imagine if the TI-84+ was $59.99. I bet even parents would insist so that schools allow graphing calcs again. Currently the 84+CE is $150 here (or $130 on sale) and you can sometimes get a tablet for that price)

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 27, 2015, 04:55:40 PM
Oh I didn'T say they were dropping them for their high price at all, I said they were just dropping them altogether. What I said about the price is that if schools ditch calcs, then TI/Casio/HP will need to lower their prices in order to convince schools that while school wants everyone to have "equal chances", that perhaps it would be a better option for classes to settle for the cheaper alternative that would become programmable calcs. Imagine if the TI-84+ was $59.99. I bet even parents would insist so that schools allow graphing calcs again. Currently the 84+CE is $150 here (or $130 on sale) and you can sometimes get a tablet for that price)
Yes I get you, but with equal chances they mean in finals. Everybody has to own a calculator that is allowed in finals. The 84+ and any other graphic or programmable calculator is forbidden in our finals or tests.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

YEah that's what I meeant too. Why don't they just use exam mode or clear everyone's memory before the test? They could also just lend students a temporary calc of their choice with no program and give the teacher their calc before exam starts.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 27, 2015, 04:59:16 PM
YEah that's what I meeant too. Why don't they just use exam mode or clear everyone's memory before the test? They could also just lend students a temporary calc of their choice with no program and give the teacher their calc before exam starts.
Dunno. Exam mode is not a option as its obviously easily hackable and memory clearing might have problems too. I guess they just want to c with us by forbidding more advanced calculators.

mrhoola

Hello , I am new here , just found this forum to find some one to help me program my Ti-nspire. I never have programmed any TI before. However, I am very familiar with C- language , C ++ and assembly for the x86 .  I am an EE , 26 yrs old  and very easy going dude. This place is pretty awesome so far , and I hope I can learn from all of you !!

Dream of Omnimaga

Hiya and welcome to CodeWalrus. I hope you enjoy your stay :walrii: . I don't do Nspire programming but some people here used Ndless to develop games before so they should be able to help :)

novenary

Quote from: DarkestEx on September 27, 2015, 05:01:17 PM
Dunno. Exam mode is not a option as its obviously easily hackable and memory clearing might have problems too. I guess they just want to c with us by forbidding more advanced calculators.
At any rate, "equal chances" is utter bullc as it's well known that some people are naturally less capable than others.