Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

@OnAccidentBot, the Twitter bot that corrects you on purpose

Started by JWinslow23, March 21, 2018, 04:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

Recently, as a little exercise, I made a Twitter bot called On Accident Bot, which detects tweets that use the improper phrase "on accident" and corrects them with "by accident".

If anyone wants explanation, clarification, or source code, please don't hesitate to ask!

_iPhoenix_

This is really cool.

I suggest that it should comment on the post instead of retweeting. It would be more noticeable/helpful/annoying to the user who typed it on accident.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

gbl08ma

Why did you shut it down? Was the stream of incorrect tweets too much for it to handle? :D

These kinds of error-correcting / "grammar nazi" bots are very popular on Reddit. They also seem to get banned from many subreddits, perhaps because many people find the corrections condescending or that they break the flow of conversation. On Twitter it would be different, though, as unlike what happens on Reddit, Twitter threads don't really get to see all the replies listed... so it'd be pretty easy to ignore such bots.
  • Calculators owned: Prizm CG-20

JWinslow23

Quote from: gbl08ma on April 02, 2018, 02:43:09 PM
Why did you shut it down? Was the stream of incorrect tweets too much for it to handle? :D

These kinds of error-correcting / "grammar nazi" bots are very popular on Reddit. They also seem to get banned from many subreddits, perhaps because many people find the corrections condescending or that they break the flow of conversation. On Twitter it would be different, though, as unlike what happens on Reddit, Twitter threads don't really get to see all the replies listed... so it'd be pretty easy to ignore such bots.
It got restricted from performing write actions by Twitter, meaning I cannot do anything with it. I tried to resolve it...again...but I don't think it's going to get unrestricted. :(

If anyone knows of a way to make this kind of Twitter bot more "Twitter automation rule friendly", let me know!

Yuki

Twitter kinda hates this when you mass retweet people, this makes you sound like a spambot for them.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: Juju on April 09, 2018, 03:27:14 AM
Twitter kinda hates this when you mass retweet people, this makes you sound like a spambot for them.

I mean, it kinda was a spam bot. But it was a benevolent spam bot.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar: