Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Programming Ideas

Started by 123outerme, December 06, 2015, 08:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotu

Well, now I think my second game will not work!

So now I have nothing to work on except tools lol

I am n idiot  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

p2

You're stuck somewhere?
Just as a told you, ask the community for help xD Or maybe look for a more experienced guy and join up with him/her so it'S gonna be a coproduction of you two ^^ that'S a great way of learning for you, too ;)
Cuz it'd be really sad if you had to terminate both your projects just because you're stuck somewhere in teh proces... :(

Edit: **** Post number 100 ****
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

Don't give up just yet @kotu . As mentioned, people can help you. If you are stuck trying to figure out how to program something, start a new topic and some people will be happy to help. If you need more ideas to make your game work you can also ask as well. Be sure to be specific, such as not calling the topic title "halp" or something, though. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

Not stuck on code, just have realised that the basis of the gameplay could be repetitive/boring with little to do.  ???

*edit*
quite pleased with the little icons i made (currently in my sig) though so will be giving the game some thought, to see if it's possible
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3

p2

we live in a world where 2048 and Flappy Bird ruled the download centers... And still you tell me your game could be boring and repetitive? ;)
Have you already tried to present your gameplay plans to someone else and ask them how they'd improve it? :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

kotu

Quote from: p2 on August 29, 2016, 11:36:49 AM
Have you already tried to present your gameplay plans to someone else and ask them how they'd improve it? :)

No - want to keep it secret so far lol

p2

xD But make ure to ask someone before you give up on it ;)
even if you have to ask someone, that doesnt mean gou got to spoiler the whole community ^^ ;)

kotu

yeah

i might ask a non-coder non-gamer friend

Dream of Omnimaga

Considering how repetitive some commercial games are nowadays (Borderlands, Star Ocean 5, most multiplayer games, etc), I think repetitive calculator games might be fine with some people. Just make sure it's not overly repetitive. But of course it's hard to tell without seeing the idea.

If for example someone makes a simple racing game, he could simply add weather effects for later stages and gradually add hazards. A strategy game could introduce snow/ice levels later in the game, where some units move slower, or desert levels where some units lose HP every turn due to heat.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 30, 2016, 03:09:44 AM
If for example someone makes a simple racing game, he could simply add weather effects for later stages and gradually add hazards. A strategy game could introduce snow/ice levels later in the game, where some units move slower, or desert levels where some units lose HP every turn due to heat.

I am thinking I could have a Hard difficulty setting which is set on a desert, sand planet instead of a temperate one (there is something to do with plant growth and DNA in the plot).

Also, how do you guys think a RTS-style game could work if it only has 3 combat unit types?

c4ooo

Maybe have an moral system? Extreme weather hurts the unit's moral which weakens their attack/defense/movement stats. For like the desert level perhaps you could incorporate some sort of water system where if your troops dont get water (either from like a lake or home base) then they become dehydrated and cant fight?

kotu

Quote from: c4ooo on September 04, 2016, 08:18:11 PM
Maybe have an moral system? Extreme weather hurts the unit's moral which weakens their attack/defense/movement stats. For like the desert level perhaps you could incorporate some sort of water system where if your troops dont get water (either from like a lake or home base) then they become dehydrated and cant fight?

The armies are way more advanced than that - it is the year 3067.

Also, bots are used so there are no troops.

p2

then make their batteries run out? ;) or will you make them being powered on sunlight?
Then you could make the sand in the desert damages their solar panels, so they need to be replaced/repaired in the base? (could add that for any "part")
or they could need breaks to rebuild energy ^^

kotu

Quote from: p2 on September 04, 2016, 09:12:03 PM
then make their batteries run out? ;) or will you make them being powered on sunlight?
like in BattleTech (MechCommander, MechWarrior series) some units will probably have nuclear reactors in their engines

Quote from: p2 on September 04, 2016, 09:12:03 PM
Then you could make the sand in the desert damages their solar panels, so they need to be replaced/repaired in the base? (could add that for any "part")
or they could need breaks to rebuild energy ^^
interesting idea... sand could easily get into joints, bearings etc. although i was planning most unit repair to be dependant on a special unit, like in Total Annihilation.

will not be displaying per-unit health/HP

*edit*
actually everyone has probably gotten a wrong idea about this game already..... but dont want to reveal the game mechanics yet

*edit*
ideas are actually quite developed though, there are 7 'technologies' associated with the base alone. beat that

p2

Just throwing out random ideas now ^^

Sand damaging engines of troops, could affect them in multiple ways like max distance they can travel without a repair, speed decreasing steadily until you get a repair, ...

Different surroundings could affect you seeing them (like heat-sensors not working properly on desert ground an case you want to add radars and stuff to spot the enemies)

Little chances of enemies to get stuck or even "disappear" in sand areas (so it'd make a difference where you build your base, too)

enemies can hide below sand (you still see them but cant attack them anymore. (cant move under ground, just dig a hole and hide until your attack is over)

I dont think you can really implement any of this but maybe you get a few nice ideas out of it ^^