Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Weird country/city laws

Started by Dudeman313, April 12, 2016, 06:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

Apparently, your'e not allowed to sleep in bed with your socks and shoes on in North Dakota without disobeying the law.

Post any other strange laws that you find out about here, along with where they are effective! :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

-In Quebec province, there are cities where you can get fined for $100 if you walk on the grass in public parks, yet if you are mentally insane (temporarily or permanently) and murder someone, you can get away with it if they judge that you were unaware of what you were doing.

-In the city of Lévis, in Quebec, it's illegal to use bicycle tracks between 11 PM and 7 AM, which is ridiculous considering they are trying to promote alternatives to cars as mean of transportation and that there's no bus transit at night.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Wow. Okay.

A few more for the list(NY, USA):

-The penalty for jumping off a building is death, if you manage to survive.

-A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket.

-On Staten Island, You may only water your lawn if the hose is held in your hand.

-Slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 PM.

And also, a fine of $25 can be levied for flirting.
The answer is "Sure."

Ivoah

Quote from: Dudeman313 on April 12, 2016, 10:47:49 PM
-On Staten Island, You may only water your lawn if the hose is held in your hand.
This rule makes sense if there was a drought or something. It would prevent people from using automatic watering solutions which may consume more water than if a lawn is watered by hand.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Yuki

I do agree. Many towns regulate lawn watering, municipal rulings usually goes from the even side of the road on certain days and the odd side on other days and on certain hours to banning watering methods. A few towns might get creative on this, though.

Also that time in 1894 when Indiana tried to pass into law an obviously incorrect way to square the circle with π = 3.2, among others. The Senate just laughed it off and indefinitely postponed it. People just turn crazy stuff into laws sometimes.

Also another law I find weird (also controversial, what I state is my personal opinion) is the ban on pitbulls, I do find it's a bit unfair to people who raise their dogs correctly. Because most people who raise their dogs incorrectly so they become killing biting machines often choose pitbulls? Anyway, the whole shebang on taking care of a dog correctly in general and the rulings on that is just plain weird. (Disclaimer: I'm a crazy cat guy and the waifu material in my avatar is a dog.)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

GuyInFreezer

In Korea, kids below 18 years old (i think) are not allowed to play video games from midnight - 6 am.

Araidia

Quote from: GuyInFreezer on April 13, 2016, 02:15:02 AM
In Korea, kids below 18 years old (i think) are not allowed to play video games from midnight - 6 am.
But that was an actual issue that needed to be addressed
In a country that has StarCraft as it's national sport  ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah juju in my city they have water use restrictions like that during Summer when it doesn't rain for a long while during hot weather.

GuyInFreezer: I heard that teens often had video gaming addiction there x.x. Was the ban on nightly gaming in response to the kids who died from dehydratation and starvation while gaming for several days straight?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Quote from: GuyInFreezer on April 13, 2016, 02:15:02 AM
@Araidia and @DJ Omnimaga have a point. That's not exactly a bad thing. :P And nice new avatar, btw.

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

So apparently, comic books depicting crime are illegal in Canada. O.O

Dudeman313

............................................................................................... :trollface:
The answer is "Sure."

p2

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 13, 2016, 03:01:33 PMWas the ban on nightly gaming in response to the kids who died from dehydratation and starvation while gaming for several days straight?
a worthy death  O.O

In Germany if you are following a "tribe" of bees and want to catch the queen, you are permitted to cross any borders (personal belongings are restricted areas don't matter, the bee queen is more important!)
Also if the bee queen has landed on a tree, you just have to knot a "Handkerchief" around the tree to mark the bees as yours. You then may leave and get your tools to catch the bees. Noone is permitted to touch the bee as long as there is already someone else's "Handkerchief" attached the tree ^^

(those laws are super super old but they forgot to remove them, they're still active)  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol, that is weird. Although in the future I bet there will be laws forbidding the killing of bees.

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 07, 2016, 05:25:40 PM
Lol, that is weird. Although in the future I bet there will be laws forbidding the killing of bees.
Naww. It's really cool. That can be misused and taken advantage of in so many ways. *insert shady face here*
The answer is "Sure."

p2

still wayting for these stupid bees to fly into the area of a big festival... or over some secret military base ;D
*but I'm actually not sure if it would allow me to enter restricted military areas...
who's mightier? Military or insect queen? ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)