You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

[TI-84+CE] Wal-Rush! CE v2.0

b/[Completed] Walrii Games (TI/HP/PC/2600) Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 12, 2016, 05:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

u/Dream of Omnimaga April 11, 2016, 09:27:42 PM
Ok so for the next update on this, I am contemplating making Walrii much smaller. I don't know if it will use 4*4 blocks because of slanted block display limitations, but it's entirely possible. I would just like Walrii to not fill half of the screen and maybe I could use something closer in style to @JWinslow23 Atari sprite that way.
u/Dudeman313 April 11, 2016, 10:28:07 PM
Okay. :)
Speed is always an issue, though, so keep that in mind.
u/Dream of Omnimaga April 11, 2016, 10:29:42 PM
It depends. Making the sprite smaller would increase the speed, but adding more rectangles would decrease it.
u/Dudeman313 April 11, 2016, 10:35:19 PM
So you might even end up with a smaller sprite that has the same speed as the larger one, but with more details?
u/Dream of Omnimaga April 11, 2016, 10:44:00 PM
It depends how speed will go. If I notice a significant speed increase then yes I might add more details.

I could also add more details to other stuff, such as background hills or the spikes. I don't want to use ASCII characters because TI text routines are slow as garbage (especially on the home screen).
u/Dream of Omnimaga April 13, 2016, 04:58:29 AM
Major update! :D

-Walrii sprite has been downscaled using the extra CE Textlib stuff I learned after starting this project.
-Spikes now move faster and no longer flickers
-Walrii gravity has been increased (he starts falling down earlier too)
-Brand new title screen! Text is less spaced out so that I could fit an exclamation mark and CE in the title. @JWinslow23 will be happy about the ! :P

:walrii:
Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 07:55:07 AM by DJ Omnimaga
u/JWinslow23 April 13, 2016, 06:24:29 PM
Oh, trust me, I'm actually very happy with the "!". For an extra challenge, though, try to design a convincing "‽".

* JWinslow23 runs

All jokes aside, this looks WONDERFUL!
u/Dream of Omnimaga April 13, 2016, 06:37:34 PM
Lol I don't think it would be that hard, but it would require modifying the title display routine :P

Thanks! Also I am sticking to single rectangles for spikes because I want to finish the entire game and ensure that speed remains good. I will only design spike sprites if it doesn't slow the game down too much, same for fishes (if any). Ideally, both of those should be restricted to 3 rectangles each
u/JWinslow23 April 13, 2016, 06:50:26 PM
Thingies are weird and stuff. :P
u/Dream of Omnimaga April 13, 2016, 06:57:02 PM
I don't get what you mean by your post ???
u/JWinslow23 April 13, 2016, 06:59:08 PM
Don't you worry, you don't have to. That's the point. :P
u/Dream of Omnimaga April 13, 2016, 07:01:28 PM
Well, have you seen First Fantasy II map loading? 27 rectangles takes 0.3 seconds to render, hence why I try to keep the amount lower than that in Wal-Rush! CE. <_<

Not to mention the maximum that can be drawn in 1 command is 42 anyway (the answer to life, universe and everything)
u/JWinslow23 April 13, 2016, 07:02:20 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 13, 2016, 07:01:28 PM
Well, have you seen First Fantasy II map loading? 27 rectangles takes 0.3 seconds to render, hence why I try to keep the amount lower than that in Wal-Rush! CE. <_<

Not to mention the maximum that can be drawn in 1 command is 42 anyway (the answer to life, universe and everything)
I get it, I get it. It's absolutely fine, as long as it doesn't take 24 hours to render 1 frame :P
u/Dream of Omnimaga April 13, 2016, 07:08:32 PM
Indeed. In FFII this is why the entire map is only rendered once entering the dungeon. When you switch to a new room, only the 4 exits are updated. Else it would take 8 seconds to load every room.

Also here are some 3-rectangle fish/spike ideas if I was to improve the other sprite:

The spikes would pretty much be a recolored fish sprite with one of the rectangle being the same color as the background. :P
u/JWinslow23 April 13, 2016, 07:11:12 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 13, 2016, 07:08:32 PM
Indeed. In FFII this is why the entire map is only rendered once entering the dungeon. When you switch to a new room, only the 4 exits are updated. Else it would take 8 seconds to load every room.

Also here are some 3-rectangle fish/spike ideas if I was to improve the other sprite:

The spikes would pretty much be a recolored fish sprite with one of the rectangle being the same color as the background. :P
I was thinking something TOTALLY different for the spike (one for "body", and two perpendicular "spikes" going through the center, creating 4 spikey thingies emanating from a thing), but second row is good.
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators