Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[PICO-8] Coffee Roguelike

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, April 21, 2015, 01:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

looks cool :) i should implement my own maze generation algorithm on pico. you can actually find it at http://quantuminfinity.space/maze/
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Your? It just looks like a simple backtracker algorithm! I coded this on pico in 10 minutes and was one of the first C experiments I did! Well, it's the most effective algorithm as you're sure that the whole zone will be dug.

EDIT : Yup, you used the backtracker method. Simple and effective.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Yeah i read up on maze algorithms when i created this, but i don't think its backtracking exactly
since it doesnt save the places it can pop back to, it just loops though the grid. I guess it's not so different though... :P
At the time i was really new to coding, one of my first things (first made it in lua though)

CKH4

So is it canvas cumred?
Also how many lines for the maze generation in pico 8 eiyeron?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

123 atm but I should clean the code and make it more concise.

CKH4

Nice! Sounds like its pretty simple but the generation was  pretty good in my opinion.

Edit. Could we maybe get another gif of generation?

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Sure, let me first change the way the digger decides to chose the tile to dig from a random until I find a solution to "choose a way from a list I dynamically change" to avoid a case where it could loop forever in a very bad (yet possible) luck.

EDIT : And I still have to find out why sometimes the corridor doesn't do all the map. Some room configurations blocks me from having a full corridor and I wonder how will I be able to manage the room connection to the corridor(s?).

CKH4

So with that bug would it generate in a loop forever or would it generate a loop in the map?

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It's not a bug, but having a repeat...random...until could be blocked forever because the Random Number God decided to hate you this time

EDIT : and here are some improvments : I found out how I could detect the cul-de-sacs, removed a big part of the frame flip (it'll only wait for one flip between each room and corridor dig  step) and added some colors for fun.

CKH4

Lol random number gods. The new generation looks really nice.

Snektron

i once got send out of class for disassembling randomly generated z80 asm :3

Dream of Omnimaga

So would scrolling be fast enough to be playable?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Suure, the map will be managed by Pico itself, I'm just prototyping something out of the game (but still relevant) at the moment.

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool to hear. I wish that a game like First Fantasy: Mana Force was possible in PICO-8. It would have to be dumbed down so that for example magic spells are identical but different colors like Final Fantasy 1 for the NES. Does that language support save files so you can record your highscores or progress?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Not yet. You could get around by saving on the fly the cart but the VM doesn't support extern file loading/writing yet.