Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

When did you start programming? (poll)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, June 30, 2016, 02:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When did you start programming?

1990 or before
2 (5.7%)
1991-93 (TI-81 era)
0 (0%)
1994-96 (ZShell era)
1 (2.9%)
1997-99 (Bill Nagel era)
1 (2.9%)
2000-02 (Sam Heald era)
1 (2.9%)
2003-05 (MaxCoderz era)
3 (8.6%)
2006-08 (TI community "demise")
2 (5.7%)
2009-11 (Ndless/Axe era)
5 (14.3%)
2012-14 (pre-CW era)
16 (45.7%)
2015 or later
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Dream of Omnimaga

But I take it that users who have javascript disabled then can't use those?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

I started calc programming a few months before joining CodeWalrus. Main main activity spike at calc programming was right at the start of CW, but died as I changed school and don't meet with my friend from that school anymore and because graphical calcs are becoming totally obsolete in Germany and aren't used anymore. They are all switching to these crappy scientific ones that I btw managed to stack overflow :P
It's quite nice, when the thing comes down after overwriting RAM with useless equations. I am talking about these non programmable calcs of course.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm you should post how you made those scientific calculators stack overflow at some point. I am curious about that :P

It sucks that most of Germany banned graphic calcs from school, though. I hope France, USA and the Netherlands won't do the same in the future, else I bet this will be the end of calculators. I doubt it, though, since in France the 2018 school policy changes will still allow the use of specific graphing models.

Anyway I have been considering making a color remake of Illusiat 1 and 2 for a while, as a First Fantasy game, since it would be quite fitting for Illusiat 15th anniversary.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

unregistered

I started programming in 1983 (I was 10) , on a Thomson TO7, at school. I was so happy to discover BASIC !

(see http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=11 for more details)

I was eager to get my own computer, but in these days, a computer was expensive !..At last, 2 years later, my parents offered my brother and I an Amstrad CPC 464 (included a tape recorder, and colour monitor) Such a great day !!!

Dream of Omnimaga

I still remember back when Windows PCs costed $3000-5000 in Quebec. Around 1992-93 it wasn't that bad and you could easily find them for $1000-2000, but for some reasons prices skyrocketed in the mid 90's before finally nosediving under $500-1500 in the 2000's.

No wonder why so few people over here had a computer back then...

Nowadays, a game console costs $400 and a PC $1000, but back then a console costed $200 and a PC $4000, in average. Considering back then most people accepted school work written on paper and that typewriters were still mainstream, I think for gamers the choice was very easy.

What amazes me, though, with some of those old computers, is how fast BASIC can be compared to TI calculators. I should really give it a try someday if it can be written in a standard code editor rather than inserting commands via command consoles. I would definitively not be able to do high-end games, but it would still be fun to mess around and make retro stuff.

kotu

Quote from: grosged on July 12, 2016, 08:09:45 AM
At last, 2 years later, my parents offered my brother and I an Amstrad CPC 464 (included a tape recorder, and colour monitor)

Lucky *******
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

p4nix

I just realized C coding started for me when I talked to a Minebuilder-modder ( a clone of Minecraft for android which was better then PM at that time) who was able to code in C on the forum of the game-dev called space-walrus.com! Quite cool that I'm on another walrus forum now, lol! :D
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

Looking back, I doubt I would have gotten much patience to program and test games on a tape-based medium. While I did not mind waiting for Goto scrolling to end in TI-BASIC enough to drive me away from programming, the long wait to load programs into memory from a tape everytime I change something, only to find another bug, would have gotten me mad lol. Even moreso nowadays, now that I don't have patience even for Goto scrolling on some calcs

Strontium

edit: ew no this post is filled with a middle schoolers ego
edit2: wait i posted this in January? god i must still have middle schoolers ego
[spoiler]I fiddled with C for the first time when I was 9 I think, but dropped it because I got bored of it. Turns out I wasn't actually bored, I was just trash at it. Once I made a calculator app without realizing math operators existed... I used loops with increments and decrements.
So after a while of not doing anything, I picked up Python when I was 10. And then I started learning a ton of other languages and whatever. I started doing calculator programming at about the same time I joined CodeWalrus.[/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Travis

The first thing I really started programming was the TI-81, which I believe I got around my birthday in 1994. Technically, I had a TI-99/4A computer when I was four or five (would have been somewhere around the mid-late '80s) and sometimes played with the programming examples in the manuals, but I don't count that because I could barely read yet and didn't really know what I was doing. I even had the tape recorder and attachment but couldn't understand what it was for or how to hook it up, so I never got to find out what that was like. Mostly we just played cartridge games on it (we only had three or four; they were hard to find). Then sometime later, that went away and we had an NES instead. Too bad Famicom BASIC never made it to North America. :(

I had a TI-82, then 85, by '96 or so. I got hold of another 99/4A early in '97 but didn't have anything other than Munch Man (no tape attachments or anything else), so I couldn't do much with it. (I was also surprised how slow BASIC on it was; my TI calcs were probably much faster!) Then we got an aunt's old 80386 computer later in '97, I think, and QBasic was awesome compared to anything else I had done. Made a few nifty (to me) programs in it eventually and tried to make a game or two, one of which was playable but never quite finished (I got bored making levels, and my coding skills weren't that great yet so I never managed to get passwords or 2-player mode working). Got a TI-86 in Christmas '98, and messed with it a lot, though I found the slow BASIC execution speed quite limiting.

Early 2000s, I dabbled in TI-86 ASM programming a bit, but not much, since I had an 89 and 68k C looked more enticing. I stuck with that for a while (along with extensive TI-BASIC coding on my TI-89) and eventually gained some familiarity with C that way. This lasted until roughly the mid 2000s, then late 2000s I got an HP 50g (my first HP calc) and got familiar with UserRPL and SysRPL. During this decade I learned better techniques, and my programming and debugging skills improved significantly.

Lately I haven't done a lot of calc programming, though I've been developing some personal tools with Python on my desktop computer. My favorite programming language actually has remained Python for the last 10–15 years. This is what introduced me to object-oriented programming, which I've been using for a while but am still getting better at.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

p2

Quote from: Strontium on January 06, 2017, 02:59:16 AM
I fiddled with C for the first time when I was 9 I think, but dropped it because I got bored of it. Turns out I wasn't actually bored, I was just trash at it. Once I made a calculator app without realizing math operators existed... I used loops with increments and decrements.
So after a while of not doing anything, I picked up Python when I was 10. And then I started learning a ton of other languages and whatever. I started doing calculator programming at about the same time I joined CodeWalrus.
I would've loved to see that source code of yours  :thumbsup:

Is it normal you drop one language after another, just to replace it by something rather similar...?  :ninja:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Sorunome

I don't think I posted here, did I?

Anyhow, I started programming the day we got the graphical calcs from school (TI-84+), I was 13 back then.

Well, now I am insane on programming and code almost daily.....heehee
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?