Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Portal NSpire

Started by LD Studios, January 02, 2015, 02:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LD Studios

I've been working on a version of portal for nspire for about two weeks now, and here's what I have so far:

Title Screen                                                                                      Main Menu

Gameplay- (showcasing turrets)

Here's my current Complete/To Do List:

Game Story:
Better name:
Basic story with Level Set:

Menus:
Home Screen: COMPLETE
Main Menu: COMPLETE
Pause Menu: COMPLETE
Level Selection Room: IN PROGRESS

Game Mechanics:
Storing/Loading Maps: COMPLETE
Collisions: COMPLETE
Portals: COMPLETE
Buttons/Sliding Doors: COMPLETE
Crates: COMPLETE
Companion Cubes: COMPLETE
Energy Balls/Toggle Switches: COMPLETE
Energy Beams: COMPLETE
Turrets: COMPLETE
Subtitles: COMPLETE
Room Heating: COMPLETE

Animations/Cutscenes
Death Animation: COMPLETE
Elevator and text between Levels: COMPLETE

Customization:
Customization of Colors: COMPLETE
Customization of Tilesets: IN PROGRESS
Level Editing:
Loading Custom Levels/Sharing Levels:
Custom Made Tile Sets:
Multiple Control Schemes: COMPLETE

Other
Achievements/Unlocks:

I'll post any updates here, stay tuned!

Dark Storm

It looks pretty good :D
I should buy a Nspire ^^
French young Casio programmer.
If I do some (big) mistakes in english, could you correct me?

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks very nice and glad that you posted it here too. :) CKH4 sprites would definitively look very nice on this. Will the levels be based on Mateo's CSE game?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

LD Studios

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 03, 2015, 07:33:15 AM
Looks very nice and glad that you posted it here too. :) CKH4 sprites would definitively look very nice on this. Will the levels be based on Mateo's CSE game?
No, I'm going to make my own levels, but as I mentioned in the post on omnimaga, it will be possible to make shareable level packs [eventually], so if someone wants to remake all the CSE levels in the level editor, then it will exist as a separate level pack. (Although gravity and jump heights might not match up, so it might not translate perfectly)

Dream of Omnimaga

Shareable level packs would rule! O.O Maybe someone could write an editor that compiles to both? (Assuming Mateo adds external lv support)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

I'm glad to see this topic here, I hope more people start posting their projects here. Any progress lately?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 04, 2015, 02:56:00 PM
Shareable level packs would rule! O.O Maybe someone could write an editor that compiles to both? (Assuming Mateo adds external lv support)

Assuming? :D Nice work LD Studios, and good luck! :)

LD Studios

Quote from: MateoConLechuga on January 05, 2015, 06:56:46 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 04, 2015, 02:56:00 PM

Assuming? :D Nice work LD Studios, and good luck! :)
Thanks, and I'm not sure if an editor that compiles to both would really work. I think we probably have very different level storing techniques, and also, like i said earlier, gravity and jump heights might not match up so maps might not be quite the same on both versions. (I think screen height/width will be the same though). Also, thanks Mateo, good luck with yours as well!

Quote from: CKH4 on January 05, 2015, 06:10:05 PM
I'm glad to see this topic here, I hope more people start posting their projects here. Any progress lately?
Right now I'm rewriting the portal/teleportation because the previous solution had some issues. After that I'll move on to buttons, lasers and other elements.

EDIT: Reworked portals and they work great now! Next on my list is improving the method of firing portals

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually, now that you mention it, screen size might be an issue as well because Nspire Lua doesn't use the entire screen.

LD Studios

Here's the new portal/physics engine:
>>click<<

Next I'm going to make some changes to portal shooting, and then I'll move on to other game play elements.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oooh, pretty nifty. Does it work well if the other portal is at 90° angle too? Also what about portal loops? Did you put a speed limit at least? :P

LD Studios

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 06, 2015, 10:27:18 PM
Oooh, pretty nifty. Does it work well if the other portal is at 90° angle too? Also what about portal loops? Did you put a speed limit at least? :P
All combination of portal directions work, and I think I put a portal loop in the video...
Yes, there is a speed limit of 10 (10pxls per screen refresh)

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I meant portal loop as in falling from the ceiling non-stop. :P

EDIT: Nevermind, for some reasons your video ended before the end the first time I checked it, which is why I didn't notice it at first.

LD Studios

Today I reworked the method of shooting portals, changed the gravity, jump height and velocity limits, and also fixed about 5 or 6 bugs. Now that I'm finally happy with the basic layout, I'm going to implement sprites and then start working on other game play elements. In a week or so, I'm going to take a quick break from this to work on a Sonic based game with Ivoah. It shouldn't take too long, especially since there's two of us working on it. Once that's done I'll be working on this again, (and I don't think you'll be too disappointed with the other project either if it comes out how I plan).

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome to hear. :D I am curious if small sprites would slow the game down much? As for the Sonic game I assume it will be Lua too? Do you plan to cross-post it on all websites too? I am definitively curious what you plan to come up with.

Just as long as OS 3.1 isn't left behind hehe :P (although for Portal I don't think this will be a problem if only the more complex graphics use sprites). I still wish that Lua was faster, though, because in HP PPL, you can draw about 5,300 16x16 sprites every second and you can take two different shortcuts to not have to redraw everything every frame.