Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Game mock-up graphics and ideas

Started by tr1p1ea, February 08, 2015, 06:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

I like it Art. Is the text at the bottom always displaying or does it only appear once entering a new area or when stopping moving? Also I see you went with the Nemesiat/Illusiat 6/7 style HUD :P (although with more text)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Hey I am back O.O and btw those graphics look awesome ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Welcome back. Stuff happened while you where gone.

And yeah, those are awesome!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Welcome back :3
(offtopic) your signature pictures seem to have no source, im gtting the image not found thing
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

Yeah, removedfromgame is down, I have to change it now.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

c4ooo

I will just drop these here:

And...

It was my idea to convert full HD pics into 96*64 4lvl greyscale images. The project is on hold now, and ime still doing some research on the best conversion method.
Edit: the first one is a tower on a hill and the second one is two guys fighting.

Unicorn

What do you want to maybe do with those?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

c4ooo

Quote from: Unicorn on August 13, 2015, 12:18:13 AM
What do you want to maybe do with those?
Don't laugh...
... Port infinity blade :P
And actually I planed to do nothing with those in particular, they where just demos.

Unicorn

Ha! lol, demos are great too! I wonder what you could do with a whole bunch of those... A gif? :P

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

c4ooo

My idea was to take many screen shots of the game and then animate them. They would be scrolled around, or replaced with others, all to simulate a 3D feel. So for example you could have a big "grass" shot . As the character walked forward it would be scrolled forward, and as the user panned it would pan in that direction. In infinity blade the moment is very limited. In fact, you can only control your characters movement when in battle (and when deciding which way to go, but with the click of a button). Screen panning is also limited to like 5 degrees, so IMO no real 3D is needed for most parts.

Unicorn

Sounds cool, but very large O.O  Kind of like the FANF @Haobo made. (Now that thing is AMAZING!)

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

This sounds like Time Commando for the Playstation 1 and PC, if anyone remembers that. The game graphics looked so advanced for the time because the landscape was basically a video that played as you walked across the map. Everything was pre-rendered that way. But I bet that took a lot of space on the disc. I am curious about how they did the masking, though (maybe some secondary alpha layer?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdvjO33uN6M

If you can use compression that would be good because grayscale images can be quite large. But decompressing certain images might be slow. You could still allow the player to move left and right depending of how the decor allows it, but only within the screen range, as the game would only scroll in the direction of the animation or its opposite.

Something you could do to save space is make the HUD larger and do like Gemini 3D: Only use a small area of the screen for the gameplay area. Or if you use the HP Prime you could just use a lower resolution and scale the images up.

Those grayscale pics look nice by the way! :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

I was curious about what my 2006 TI-84+ xLIB game would look like in color so I decided to do a mockup of the first and second areas (based on the 2007 expansion) with new tiles:

And a quick edit with a colored HUD slapped on it:

This is how it could look like if ported to the HP Prime. Scaled up graphics, but since the original maps were supposed to be 12x8, I decided to make the game 12x9 instead of hiding the top row of tiles like in the original game. The HUD pretty much uses the same color scheme as in Super Metroid (the shield represents energy tanks, hence why it's pink)

CKH4

Ha those look great. I was thinking this looks like influences from metroid as well.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+