Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

NHL Playoffs (ice hockey) + bracket challenge!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 13, 2015, 05:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

10-0, man, seriously? Wow. Been a while I saw such an epic fail, excluding Team Canada in preliminary rounds of international events where it's actually important whether your team scored the most goals in their group. It happens the winning team goes over 5 goals, in which case the local sports restaurant usually gives out chicken wings, but it's very rare the score goes in the double digits. At least in the NHL and most pro leagues.

And here begins the downward spiral that usually happens after a 10-game perfect season start, anything can happen from here. Even with a 9-1-1 record so far and such a good team, it's definitely not guarenteed the Canadiens will even make the playoffs. Just look at it, it eerily looks like a repeat of last year, except everyone important's still there.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Rouge et Or lost 13-12 once I think at college football. Last night when the score was 8-0 people were joking about how habs could come back with a touchdown
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

In football, a touchdown is worth 6 points (plus 1 or 2 extra points) while a field goal is worth 3. 13-12 is not a lot by football standards, but it would definitely break records in hockey.

EDIT:
Quote from: Juju on November 05, 2016, 02:03:23 AM
except everyone important's still there.
Well, I didn't really checked who was goaling yesterday, but it came to my attention it was Al Montoya. I don't know if Carey Price is still on the injured's list, if not, Therrien should definitely had pulled Montoya off way before. Also sounds like a repeat of that infamous night of December 2, 1995 where the Canadiens lost 11-1 to the Red Wings, except Montoya didn't threw a tantrum leading him to get sent to Colorado, as far as I know.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

They used Montoya and kept him in the net despite the score because they're playing two games in two days. Tonight game is against Phidalelphia and they probably decided to sit out of last night game in order to give everything tonight. We'll see, though. If they lose too much I bet they'll fire Therrien in December.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Canadiens at Chicago tonight, they lost 3-2, but the Blackhawks brought Hall of Famer Denis Savard back (not related to me as far as I know) and the guy who sings the national hymns sang in French. Nice.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Yuki

Wow, Henrik Lundqvist must be like, what the heck just happened?

Also Wayne Gretsky in the next episode of The Simpsons. Gonna be interesting.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Yuki

Remember Canadiens' 10-0 loss of last month? Well, they won 10-1 today against the Colorado Avalanche, with Max Pacioretty scoring no less than 4 times. Well then, guess it evens out.

And of course Pacioretty still never talks about his individual performances no matter how hard the journalists try.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Now Jagr tied Messier for 2nd most points in NHL carreer.

Yuki

Well, players who survived past 20 years of playing, are still playing good (as in, an average of >1 point/game (PPG)) and are still in good health are a bit of a rarity in the NHL, so seeing him to the top of players that aren't Wayne Gretsky is a pretty nice feat, especially as he played less games than Messier. Speaking of which, had Mario Lemieux played longer (he didn't made it to 1000 games), he probably would have rivaled with Gretsky. Similarly, if Sidney Crosby is still in good health by 2025, he might also make the list rather high.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah Lemieux could have done it. If only he was in good health when he played. :(

Anyway Jagr has done it now. :D He got a golden stick commemorating his achievement. It reminds me when they stopped the 1993 game between Jets and Nordiques when Selanne beat Mike Bossy's rookie record for most goal in his first NHL season ever:

Yuki

Yeah, Mike Bossy, another one who might have broken some more records had he played longer than 10 seasons. Heh, you have to be pretty solid to play hockey.

But yeah, Teemu Selänne is another one who got a pretty good career, I'd see him being inducted into the Hall of Fame as soon as he's eligible. Also what the hell was the Nordiques goaler doing?

Oh, and Roberto Luongo tying with Terry Sawchuk in 5th place for most wins for a goaltender.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Not sure what the Nordiques goalie was doing in the vid but the Jets lost 8-3 if I remember :trollface:

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow, the Blue Jackets not only lost just 5 games in regulation this season (and four in overtime/shootout), but they also have 16 wins in a row and they might soon tie the NHL all-time record (I think it's 17) from the 1992 Penguins. Who would have thought this would happen with a team that only made the playoffs twice in 16 years?

Dream of Omnimaga

Anyone noticed that there seems to be more and more high-scoring games in the NHL lately? People kept complaining before about how few goals there are in NHL games nowadays, but this year I keep seeing games finishing 7-1, 6-2, 10-0, 8-7 and so on. While I bet those must be games with poor defense, I personally prefer higher scoring. I also wish they did not go as hard against fighting because I prefer players releasing their agression in a fight than via cheap shots. Normally if an high-scoring player from a team gets bodychecked too hard, one of his teamate confronts the player who did it. Fights can also change the momentum of a game.

Also what teams do you follow this year? (For me it's mostly the Jets and Sens)