Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

A wrapper for TI's JavaScript-based z80/eZ80 emulators

Started by Adriweb, July 04, 2015, 11:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

What do you think is not working? File transfer/loading would definitively be a big plus for this emulator for those who have Smartview. I don't like TI-Smartview because it's too slow, but this JS wrapper lacks file sending, so it isn't very practical during ASM/C/BASIC testing and development. I didn't know adding file transfer would be possible at all. If you manage to (legally) add such feature successfully, then good job.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

It sure is fun, but I didn't add that myself because :
- Implementing transfers the right way is insanely complex, let alone on an obfuscated (well, minified) codebase
- implementing the "bad"/hacky way is not very hard on the contrary (as seen in his repo, it's not a whole lot of lines to get things started), but... it is extremely version-dependant: it will only work for a specific version (in this case, SV 5.1 with 84+CE, not the 83PCE and on any other versions)
- TI is probably watching my repo :P
- ... and they may not like such features as it would get closer and closer to SmartView (and less an emu "wrapper" as the name indicates)

For all those reasons, I can't/won't promote the fork on the upstream one, but oh well, have fun, after all it's not open-source for nothing :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Good move I think. We don't want those features to be mainstream anyway. I guess it's just for the convenience of being able to use their emu without experiencing severe lag. Trust me, I tried First Fantady in it and not only it ran twice slower, but it also processed keypresses even slower and at one point I was about 1 minute behind in keypresses. Even the TI-OS is slow, which isn't very excusable when the software costs $150 (while HP offers theirs for free)

Perhaps TI need some development help to find a workaround? :P

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

TI perfectly knows it's slow[er] in SmartView, but... it's "fast enough" for teachers and most usecases (which aren't ours :P)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Snektron

I found the error :) It had something to do with loading the file and interpreting some characters as 2-byte characters.
I solved it by loading the file into an arraybuffer and making a string of it by first creating a Uint8Array, instead of reading the string in one go.

I'm not entirely sure if things like pictures work, but i tested some and it doesn't crash so thats good :P
Programs seem to work anyway.

Also more people might want this, so be sure to spread the news :3
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Adriweb on December 02, 2015, 04:44:54 AM
TI perfectly knows it's slow[er] in SmartView, but... it's "fast enough" for teachers and most usecases (which aren't ours :P)
So they adopted the 3 characters every second is super fast philosophy? 9_9
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on December 02, 2015, 04:50:43 PM
I found the error :) It had something to do with loading the file and interpreting some characters as 2-byte characters.
I solved it by loading the file into an arraybuffer and making a string of it by first creating a Uint8Array, instead of reading the string in one go.

I'm not entirely sure if things like pictures work, but i tested some and it doesn't crash so thats good :P
Programs seem to work anyway.

Also more people might want this, so be sure to spread the news :3
Good to hear. If a news is made, it should specify that the js wrapper requires a working smartview install to be used, but is much faster.