Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Building a computer for art school

Started by Yuki, August 03, 2017, 10:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

c4ooo

Quote from: Juju on August 08, 2017, 09:02:06 PM
Hmmm, yeah, might buy a bit more RAM, 16 GB is a minimum. So it would be better the swap file goes off the SSD? Yeah, better invest in a fast hard drive anyway. Any model to suggest?
What I would suggest (this is what most people do) is a ~150 (or 250) GB *M.2* ssd + 2tb HDD.

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

kotu

Actually most ppl use a 1 cm memory cube which encodes data in electron spin states

(that can hold 28 billion gigabytes)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3

_iPhoenix_

Some people offer no help to the topic under the disguise that they are.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Yuki

If you can tell where I can buy that I'm buying it right now or else you're banned. :P
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

gameblabla

An SSD here would be pointless anyway because most of the time, you're going to use the hard drive anyway.
Also, if you're going to buy one 2 TB hard drive, it might be better to get two 1TB hard drives for safety. (unless you're on a tight budget)
An SSHD might be better for what you're looking for, maybe.

• Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Yuki

A separate SSD for Windows and apps and a RAID for data might sound good, actually.

And yeah, my budget is tight.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

c4ooo

Quote from: gameblabla on August 09, 2017, 05:32:16 PM
An SSD here would be pointless anyway because most of the time, you're going to use the hard drive anyway.
Also, if you're going to buy one 2 TB hard drive, it might be better to get two 1TB hard drives for safety. (unless you're on a tight budget)
An SSHD might be better for what you're looking for, maybe.
The point of an SSD is to get fast boot time though...
That's why I recommended a small size, personally I plan to buy like 60 or so GB ssd soon.

Yuki

I was looking for a video card today, looks like the recommended one is a Quadro M4000 for around C$1200, which is pretty much equivalent to a GTX 970. The only difference is whether some 3D acceleration thing is enabled in the driver (Quadro is, GeForce is not) which is required for some Autodesk programs, thing that could be soft modded, probably. Now I'm wondering if it would be more efficient to buy a GTX 1070 or 1080 instead and soft mod it into a Quadro P4000 or P5000. You guys know about those soft mods?
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

kotu

Hey everyone!

Let's not tell @Juju about the static electricity thing! She could fry her chips!! :D

wait

Yuki

* Juju rubs head against balloon and pokes @kotu
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

gameblabla

Quote from: Juju on August 10, 2017, 04:42:16 AM
I was looking for a video card today, looks like the recommended one is a Quadro M4000 for around C$1200, which is pretty much equivalent to a GTX 970. The only difference is whether some 3D acceleration thing is enabled in the driver (Quadro is, GeForce is not) which is required for some Autodesk programs, thing that could be soft modded, probably. Now I'm wondering if it would be more efficient to buy a GTX 1070 or 1080 instead and soft mod it into a Quadro P4000 or P5000. You guys know about those soft mods?
It used to be possible but now you can't soft-mod it so easily. That's Nvidia (and AMD) deliberately forcing pros to pay a prenium for you.
You could do a hard-mod but good luck with that :
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/mod-turn-geforce-cards-into-quadro-and-wise-versa.784284/
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Yuki

Documentation is scarce, especially for newer models, but yeah, either you solder a resistor or you patch the driver somehow. And I'm not going to solder that resistor. I think I might go to play safe and get that M4000.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

kotu