Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Nintendo Wii U is now officially discontinued (Jan 31st 2017)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 23, 2016, 04:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I think one of the issue about the hardware demands is the Wii U gamepad, right? I mean, doesn't displaying images on two large screens require twice as much resources as displaying images on one?

And yeah the issue is people might be willing to buy Nintendo games, but at which cost? If they have to shell $300-400 on a console only to play 2-3 games, then they might just sacrify graphics and go for an older hardware, like the Wii, which already has Mario kart Wii (although no online gameplay anymore), Mario Galaxy for their 3D Mario needs, Mario Galaxy 2 for their high difficulty Mario needs, NSMBWii for their classic but cool looking Mario needs, various Zelda games including new ones, etc. If the NX fails then I think they should switch to a game developer mode and release their games on competing consoles. They'll make more money by doing that.

Once again, I think the success of the NX launch will depend of the launch title lineup. Also I hope the new gamepad will not have touchscreen buttons like the fake round gamepad that were showcased as an hoax. Touchscreen virtual gamepads is the only reason why I avoid most mobile games like the plague. It's so hard to control anything in a platform or action game without physical buttons.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

The reason the Wii U has struggled is because the mainstream thought that it was nothing more than a new controller for the Wii, instead of a new console entirely.

Virtually all of my non-gamer friends+family thought this.

The other reason is that it is not powerful enough when compared to the ps4/xb1. In this day and age developers need to maximise resources and guaranteed returns. Devoting time and staff for the sole purpose of trying to optimise the heck out of something just so it is 'runnable' on one of 3 potential platforms. As mentioned this turned the majority of middle-ware reliant developers away - automatically killing the console as the game lineup is baron and void of most AAA 3rd party titles. This is a shame as the gamepad really does aid gameplay and could do so for potentially all games had the console been attractive enough to developers.

IT HAS BEEN RUMORED that the NX will be 'comparable' to the ps4/xb1 in terms of performance which means that Nintendo have gone on the cheap again regarding the hardware; choosing to compete with consoles that were released in 2013 ... It is likely that instead of the necessary power to future-proof the console they are putting their eggs in a different basket for the 3rd console in a row. Once again, for the 3rd console in a row, Nintendo will have no games aside from their own.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah true, but if the Wii U had more power then perhaps it would have gotten many more games. Hardcore gamers were turned away by the console because it lacked the latest Call of Duty, Borderlands and such titles. Also the gamepad was expensive to produce. If they had used a standard gamepad they could have released the console at a cheaper price to increase software sales or put the extra money not used for the gamepad into better hardware.

That said, a lot of the third-party franchises for the PS4/Xbox One tend to be rushed and if they are ports of PC games they tend to be even lower quality, so sometimes it's really the developers not making enough effort to make their games run on the Wii U.

That said, the gamepad was pretty nice for certain games such as FIFA 13. I just wish that newer games used it more. RIght now the gamepad mostly serves as an alternative to the TV screen when you don't want to play games on the big screen.

I'm thinking, however, that with better marketing and a better console name, they could turn things around. They really need to make sure that their marketing won't make the console sound like it's just another upgrade to the Wii and it needs to look different than the Wii. They need to create lots of hype, especially about the Zelda game, and perhaps have various exclusive features that the Wii U version lacks.

As for hardware being current gen instead of next gen, they could probably get a pass if Sony and Microsoft have no plan to release new consoles in the next three years or so. Sony is supposedly about to release a PS4.5, which is an enhanced PS4, but the hardware issue with the Wii U was exacerbated by the fact the PS4 and Xbox One came out just one year after the Nintendo console.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

To me, it's not just about marketing and power, it's about games. I can't name more than two games (Smash and Splatoon) I'd like to have if I had a Wii U. And two games isn't enough for me to pay for a Wii U and a TV (especially since Smash is also available on the 3DS, though not exactly the same). And if a lot of people are in my case, then obviously there isn't any kind of auto-marketing (where people tell others that they love their Wii U).

And about power, obviously the fact it is not so important doesn't mean they shouldn't make it powerful. If their console isn't more powerful than a PS4, people will be like wtf, it's not a next-gen, it's not even a current-gen, lolwat I'll buy something else. Especially if they keep not doing games for it.

(Though, when I say I'm only interested in two games for the Wii U, that's still two more than for both the PS4 and XB1).

Dream of Omnimaga

aetios

To me, nintendo consoles haven't really been about power, but about innovation. Sure, the wii u might not have gotten that many games, but the games that they made are pretty cool imo. Still sad that there's no new mainline Zelda game for the U. :/
ceci n'est pas une signature

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 28, 2016, 07:05:23 AM
What about NSMBu, Mario 3D World amd Mario Kart 8? O.O
Not interested. The only Mario game I have on my 3DS is 3D Land, and I only have it because I got it for free when buying Pokemon X. And I never liked Mario Kart, especially since they introduced the blue shell (which, unlike other items that are balanced, is intrinsically negative since, when you have it you don't care (you're like 6th in the race and bothering the 1st will not change anything to you), and when others have it you're annoyed (when you're first or second), while for other items you're still annoyed when others have them but you like having them). Still waiting for F-Zero though (and saying that Fast Racing Neo fills the gap is like saying Brawl replaces Melee (but for Smash, you can at least say that Smash 4 fills the gap)).

aetios

The blue shell is really a gag element they threw in for parties. It's fun screwing over someone you know, but for competitive play it's a bit meh indeed.

tr1p1ea

It's not that I prefer the most graphically capable console, it's that if the Wii U were closer to the ps4/xb1 then it takes away that advantage AND makes it a lot easier on developers who use popular middleware to support the console. This is the main reason why 3rd party support died on the Wii U. I bought the clearance priced ACIV:Black Flag and it runs just OK on Wii U, but with the gamepad integration it is much more enjoyable to play vs the other consoles.

That said I still think what killed the console is its name.

aetios

Yeah, definitely the name. I was not that much into console gaming back then and I also thought it was an accessory, and a rather dorked one at that (especially for that price!!!). I remember saying to streetwalrus what a weird thing that was, then he made me realize it was an entirely new console.. :P

GalacticPirate

@Hayleia In Mario Kart 8, the blue shell is no longer flying, so by throwing one you basically knock out half of the other players on the road (a giant shell which knocks everithing in the middle "third" of the road's width) :P

@DJ Omnimaga Perhaps... But who wants these games on the Wii U, since it's anything but the people targeted by Nintendo who like these games. And be as powerful as a PS4/XB1 for the NX would be already awesome, ujst in terms of 3D/HD possibilities... Imagine Super Mario Galaxy 3 with a console ten times as powerful as the Wii  O.O I basically hate FPS games and GTA-like ones.
If you want examples of overpower'd hardware in devices, just look at Samsung GS6E+ which was so powerful that Samsung went backtrack with the GS7. Or the surface Book in its max config, which is as powerful as a gamer PC and can almost run all the Adobe software collection at once :P Or even iPad Pro 9.7' which is more powerful than the 12' MacBook...   :crazy: Seriously, would such a power be useful in the NX ?
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Hayleia

Quote from: STV on April 28, 2016, 01:11:03 PM
@Hayleia In Mario Kart 8, the blue shell is no longer flying, so by throwing one you basically knock out half of the other players on the road (a giant shell which knocks everithing in the middle "third" of the road's width) :P
I did play Mario Kart 8, and I know that. But it's not one third of the road's width at all for most roads. So except if you're always in the middle of the road or except of the one with the blue shell throws it very close to you, you don't have a lot of chance to get hit. It's obviously still better than the flying blue shell, but far from being as balanced as the red or green shells.

GalacticPirate

There is more unfair things than the blue shell in MK8, for example, the item distribution is no longer only based on place but also on distance, so when second-place get a triple red, you get very annoyed. In some races, I've also seen 7th to 2nds getting Bullet Bills when the 1st was far :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Hayleia

Wait, were you trying to convince me that the game was good or not ? Because if the latter, I was already convinced :P

Also lol, gbatemp reporting that the latest firmware to date is probably going to get hacks. Which brings the number of interesting games from 2 to 5 (Splatoon, Sm4sh, Melee, Project M (yeah, 3 Smash games, I don't see the problem :P), F-Zero GX)...
Now truly hesitating to get one, considering I still don't have a TV...

edit Wait, it seems like the 3 retro games were already playable without the upcoming hacks, so it kind of has always been 5 games -.-

Dream of Omnimaga

@Hayleia sadly I thunk F-Zero is dead. Nintendo will never make another F-Zero game. When they made GX sales got so poor that they gave up on the franchise and it's now used only to add characters to SSB and such games. Also, MK8 introduces many F-Zero elements such as rollercoaster style loops and actual F-Zero tracks, which tells me they have no intention to release a new standalone F-Zero game, which is sad. :(

As for the blue shell, they could just add options to MK9 when they make it so that people can disable the blue shell, bullet bill and rank/distance-based item distribution in custom games. Having such options would be nice for people who wants to compete.