Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Watch out before upgrading to Android 5.1! (possible bricking with some apps?)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, May 10, 2015, 03:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok so I upgraded to Android 5.0.1 earlier (official one), then it notified me that 5.1 was available (official update) so I updated to it. Big mistake! While 5.0.1 worked fine, 5.1 ended up putting me into an endless System UI crashed error loop after the boot screen, and in some cases after rebooting, a black screen of death. Reason why? Apparently the Lockscreen Policy app causes it on Android 5.1, unless you use the latest version (I didn't upgrade since having automatic upgrades enabled drained my battery like mad). If you have wi-fi enabled when you encounter this problem, you can probably reinstall the app from your computer, but otherwise you're screwed, you have to factory-reset your phone, losing all data you didn't back up, and I heard that some people permanently bricked their device with this.

I also heard that Lockscreen Policy is not the only app that can cause this problem on Android 5.1. So before upgrading to that version, be VERY VERY careful about what app you have installed and which version. Now I am setting up my phone again, reseted from scratch, most apps redownloaded, hoping my Android install is safe.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Sounds like the typical c that happens when upgrading android. My advice would be to backup all important data first, and do a factory reset after the update. Yes it takes more time but at least you know you won't run into issues like this one. And the phone keeps running fast instead of slowing down over time (pretty much like windows :P).

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I didn't have much important data personally, other than the fact I liked not having to re-enter all my logins :P. It's strange that 5.0.1 went fine, though.

Oh well, at least I'm glad my phone is safe now. I was quite worried since I like that phone.

Also I am glad that this cty shutdown animation is gone:
[spoiler="---=====WARNING: SEIZURE!!!!!=====---"][/spoiler]

Ok... maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but this mockup is how it felt like for my eyes when using my phone in the dark. I'm glad they brought back the fade out animation from Android 2.2.2.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Wow, that sounds scary. I'm glad I don't have an android, because I'm usually the first one to update a device.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

novenary

Erm, iOS isn't much better at that. :P (assuming you have an iPhone)

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on May 10, 2015, 06:50:33 AM
Erm, iOS isn't much better at that. :P (assuming you have an iPhone)
Indeed, plus it seems worse at times, especially for you people with rooted/jailbroken devices. My iPod Touch didn't even last 1 day as a jailbroken device. In both attempts, it worked fine, then one day I restarted and I was stuck on the Apple logo.  That was a few years ago with iOS 4, though.

Unicorn

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Yeah API 22 (What android 5.1 uses) is also broken in the SDK. I got a million errors before when i used it, one in the generated file so thats fun <_<
I fixed it now but its still a bit eh
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...