Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How do you create Sprites

Started by Alvajoy123, June 28, 2017, 12:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvajoy123

Hello everyone and guest (if you a guest sign up)
What software do you use to make you Sprite maps
And why ? ???
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CE
The maker of Xenon.

mazhat

I use Paint Tool Sai for 'HD' sprites.

If you don't care too much about looks:
Just stick with a simple program like MS paint,
as it's very convienient (but ugly).

• Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

Dream of Omnimaga

I used TokenIDE (or Tokens) from ticalc.org to make maps and MS Paint, Paint.net or Photofiltre to draw sprite sheets.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

_iPhoenix_

Then, you do what the docs tell you to do <3

I use GIMP, it's very nice, overly powerful, super redundant, and just plain overcomplicated (for what I use it for, at least) in an awesome way.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

p2

I use Paint.Net as well. It doesn'T have as many tools as Gimp but if you know how to use the tools you can get great results from it
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

mazhat

Paint.net is great for pixel art sprites.
That's what I used when making the legacy MOS sprites.
The selection tool is just AMAZING.

It's my #1 program for such.

Paint tool sai: For sprites that are drawings (HD)
Paint.net: Great for pixel art
MS Paint: If you really don't care and want graphics fast
Adobe Illustrator: Good for graphic design, and it's scale-able since it uses vector graphics! Infinite resolution!
Photoshop: ??
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

novenary

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on June 28, 2017, 04:44:17 PM
I use GIMP, it's very nice, overly powerful, super redundant, and just plain overcomplicated (for what I use it for, at least) in an awesome way.
I second this. GIMP is WAY beyond overkill for simple sprites but I still like using it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Is it easy to do pixel art in GIMP though? I remember it was a major PITA to do so in Photoshop way back then. At least I am glad GIMP is no longer made of over 9000 small windows (the main reason why I hated it). Image Studio was kinda nice for pixel art too IIRC.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Quote from: Streetwalrus on June 28, 2017, 08:59:00 PM
Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on June 28, 2017, 04:44:17 PM
I second this. GIMP is WAY beyond overkill for simple sprites but I still like using it.
I dont. Its learning curve is way too high to use it for small edits to images i usually make.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

novenary

Eh, it's fairly easy to use imo. I only ever need to google when I'm looking for some fancy feature.

Alvajoy123

• Calculators owned: TI-84+CE
The maker of Xenon.

tr1p1ea

Gimp should suffice, I personally use Paint Shop Pro 7.04 and have so for years and years, mainly because it's fast :).

Though for converting to data I use my own custom tools.

Dream of Omnimaga