Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+ Series Hybrid BASIC] Sorcery of Uvutu (Released!)

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2015, 10:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

I think the other two downvotes DJ has are from me swiping my kindle down, and hitting the button.

I still need to put this on my calc, I downloaded the zip, now to send it :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 20, 2015, 06:26:37 AM
Actually for the downvote, @Streetwalrus could remove both it and the upvote so it won't count towards both totals, but I can understand that sometimes this accident occurs, since it's quite common. :P And I see about the armor. I actually tried 2nd out of reflex, to no avail.

By the way, do you plan to try implementing the gradient thing?
Yeah, then let Street do that. Yeah, I need to figure out the problem with the armor.
And if I can get the gradient algorithm into a decent size, yes, I think I'll do it.
Quote from: Unicorn on November 21, 2015, 08:49:04 AM
I think the other two downvotes DJ has are from me swiping my kindle down, and hitting the button.

I still need to put this on my calc, I downloaded the zip, now to send it :P
Cool! Thanks for trying it, when you get the chance.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

The gradient is just a matter of a For loop and a line/rectangle command I think, or perhaps two.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Beta version 0.2b is out now! I've updated the original post to contain the download. Unfortunately, @DJ Omnimaga , it was not convenient to create a Save+Continue feature. It was plausible, but my attempts failed. I may re-attempt such a feature in the future. Here are a list of changes from version 0.1b:
*Minor color changes of grass textures for overworld and battle background/sky
*Speed and size optimizations
*Removed small glitch that made options menu appear a split second before battle ending text displayed
*Added progress bar to the blue "Saving" screen
*Added functionality to armor. Now a usable item that ups HP based on the power of the armor
*Changed Doors CSE icon to more closely resemble the new character sprite made by LD Studios
*Small functionality tweaks

Here's a screenshot:

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the update. I like the new changes and this is getting along nicely. By the way, I notice that the gradient is drawn gradually. Have you gotten any luck using xLIBC's "double-buffering" abilities to counter that? Or is it because the other half of the LCD is still being used by the overworld map even when battles are underway? Also, will the armor have multiple uses as an item or is it discarded instantly?

I also still think that the top of the screen should show more useful info such as the real location and your nick, or stats. :P

Keep up the nice work :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 01, 2015, 08:25:17 AM
Thanks for the update. I like the new changes and this is getting along nicely. By the way, I notice that the gradient is drawn gradually. Have you gotten any luck using xLIBC's "double-buffering" abilities to counter that? Or is it because the other half of the LCD is still being used by the overworld map even when battles are underway? Also, will the armor have multiple uses as an item or is it discarded instantly?

I also still think that the top of the screen should show more useful info such as the real location and your nick, or stats. :P

Keep up the nice work :)
I use xLIBC's double buffering all the time. I use the rectangle command to draw the gradient, so that may be the reason for the slowdown. The armor will discard instantly and give you HP points. I might put Lv x in the HUD, to replace player name. But I like that the location name at the top. If I have to, I'll move that to the overworld menu.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I thought double-buffering wasn't used because the gradient seemed to be drawn gradually rather than instantly following a small delay. The speed is still fine IMHO.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 02, 2015, 05:55:15 AM
Ah I thought double-buffering wasn't used because the gradient seemed to be drawn gradually rather than instantly following a small delay. The speed is still fine IMHO.
I just remembered why that is. Instead of drawing all the lines at once and updated the buffer, I drew each line and then updated. I can change that now, it's not hard at all.

c4ooo

Quote from: 123outerme on December 02, 2015, 08:25:20 PM
I just remembered why that is. Instead of drawing all the lines at once and updated the buffer, I drew each line and then updated. I can change that now, it's not hard at all.
If you use double buffering, you could do what i suggested on cemetech ;)

123outerme

Quote from: c4ooo on December 02, 2015, 08:29:20 PM
Quote from: 123outerme on December 02, 2015, 08:25:20 PM
If you use double buffering, you could do what i suggested on cemetech ;)
I see how it could work. The character still moves in multiples of 8 to make redrawing easier, but along a set path per the coordinates that you clicked on. I don't think I'll do it, however. I'm not looking for a point-and-click style, although that's not a bad option for an RPG. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, I uploaded 0.3b with not too many changes. No screenshot this time since none of the changes require one.

*Fixed minor lag in battle background gradient drawing as per @DJ Omnimaga  's request
*Changed method of storage for map data from program (inside the main program) to a separate Appvar. This will allow me to keep the game to one program and allow me to make almost too many maps.

Dream of Omnimaga

YEah I think tile by tile movement (moving by multiples of 8) is better for hybrid BASIC games. Otherwise, I can't imagine how slow movement would be with the more complex collision detection.

I'm not sure if I am fan of the point and click idea. It would work better for a TI-Nspire or HP Prime game. Most RPGs with such graphical style use d-pad movement anyway.

Have you done more dungeons and areas so far by the way?

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 03, 2015, 01:10:07 AM
YEah I think tile by tile movement (moving by multiples of 8 ) is better for hybrid BASIC games. Otherwise, I can't imagine how slow movement would be with the more complex collision detection.

I'm not sure if I am fan of the point and click idea. It would work better for a TI-Nspire or HP Prime game. Most RPGs with such graphical style use d-pad movement anyway.

Have you done more dungeons and areas so far by the way?
Yes I have, actually.

Dream of Omnimaga

Those dark red plants look like they are just ready to eat you alive O.O

This looks nice actually :P. Something that would be cool when the game is done is if someone made a walkthrough with a full map of the game.

Also an idea I had for the top of the screen would be to like STEVO @ DRAGON'S DEN, assuming the @ symbol is available with xLIBCE.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 03, 2015, 01:28:31 AM
Those dark red plants look like they are just ready to eat you alive O.O

This looks nice actually :P. Something that would be cool when the game is done is if someone made a walkthrough with a full map of the game.

Also an idea I had for the top of the screen would be to like STEVO @ DRAGON'S DEN, assuming the @ symbol is available with xLIBCE.
Thanks! Actually those aren't plants, they're just the pattern in the cooled lava :P
I plan on combining all of the maps in the game into 1 huge picture or 8 smaller ones.
And I don't think I could do that, because IIRC real(6,0..., the text call (you probably know that though) doesn't do symbols. They just display as garbage.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I see now. Isn't cooled lava dark gray normally, though? Or is the red color due to being a very large area with lava causing the entire area to have a red hue overall?

And I see. I guess you could show STEVO AT DRAGON DEN or something, but that won't leave much space for text.