Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[pico-8] Raymarcher

Started by Snektron, May 05, 2015, 10:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

So i downloaded pico-8 a few days ago, and i made a shader-like thingy (basically it loops through every pixel and runs a function to get the color).
Ofcourse, i had to make a raymarcher with it:

It contains some vector functions, a few raymarch primitives (only 2 atm), atan, acos, sqrt (which i didnt make), and rgb-to-16-color converter, and some functions for the raymarcher lie getting normals and calculating a diffuse value.
The function "f" in the code makes the scene, the image just shows "return sdSphere(p, 2)" which makes a sphere with a radius of 2.
The variable "ro" is the camera position, and dir is the look direction. "sun" is the light direction. "STEPS" is the max # of steps, MAX_DST the maximum distance and EPS/EPS2 a small edge value. It takes a few sec to render an image, but it turned out pretty nice i think :D
(also press action to end the program when its done, or esc to stop it anytime)

EDIT: so i added the "opRep" function which repeates space and increased the max distance:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

CKH4

Can you make it move? How long does it take to draw the second imgae screen? This is very cool and I'll see what I can make with it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Snektron

Well, theoretically you can, and on real shaders its easy, but it takes a relatively long time to render one frame that it would take too long for movement. Also the second one takes like 30 sec or something, quite long :P (a plane takes longer though). You can decrease the render time by lowering the steps and max_dst, though the result would not be as good

CKH4

I'll see what I can do with it. I'm going to try anyway on the movement so maybe I'll do a time lapse.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Snektron

Cool :) also keep in mind the ray dir still has a few bugs. It doesnt work right when you have any other value than vec3(1,0,0), vec3(0,1,0) or vec3(0,0,1) (i think itssomething with the mormalize function)

EDIT: i've updated the cartridge: The ray dir is now fixed :D. also i've added the sdBox primitive, but i've not really tested it.

matrefeytontias

Nice :D I like the pixelated look it gives to a raymarcher.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+.fr, TI-Nspire CAS prototype, TI-84+ CSE, TI-Nspire CX
My TI games (some got their own article on non-calc websites !) : http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/authors/112/11202.html

My moozik (100% free metal) : http://www.soundcloud.com/matrefeytontias

Snektron

Thanks! and i like that too :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah that looks very cool! That texture above could pretty much be used as pixel art in a sprite sheet O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U