Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New member introductions: Say hello here!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 20, 2014, 02:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flimflam

Hello,

I've lurked for a long time on various calc forums, but this is my first actual account in a calc programming community. My 84+SE died a week ago after 5 years of honorable service, andI can't replace it since TI apparently doesn't make the SE anymore. So, I decided to get an 89 Titanium instead. I used to write lots of little programs in Axe, basic, and z80 asm, so I think I'll be able to pick up 68k reasonably quickly.
  • Calculators owned: 84+SE (Dead), 89 Titanium

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya flimflam and welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your TI-84 Plus SE. What issue does it have? As for 68K programming, @catastropher is working on a 3D engine right now and Lionel used to do a lot of it too, so they can probably help you. :)

I hope you enjoy your stay. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

flimflam

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 22, 2015, 03:21:09 AM
Heya flimflam and welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your TI-84 Plus SE. What issue does it have? As for 68K programming, @catastropher is working on a 3D engine right now and Lionel used to do a lot of it too, so they can probably help you. :)

Thanks! The keypad on the SE went bust (except for the ON button). I tried all the usual reset tricks, reinstalled the OS, etc., but to no avail. Eventually, I found a guide on Cemetech to take the thing apart and clean it. I took it apart and removed and cleaned all the keys and the mat, but after putting it back together it still didn't work.

I was thinking of getting a CX CAS, but the constant boot code changing and TI's antipathy towards asm make me think the 89Ti is a better choice.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah that sucks. I wonder if there is a way to repair the keyboard other than the Cemetech way. Do you know if the internal circuits were exposed to humidity? That could have ruined the calc. Anyway I'm glad that you want to continue calculator programming despite this. And yeah I honestly don't like the TI-Nspire CX because of the constant ASM lockdowns from TI. The TI-89T community is no longer very active, but there are still quite a bit of 68K users in some areas that still sell the TI-89T (eg USA and Canada) and we happen to have two other programmers for it. I myself got one but I mostly programmed for the TI-81, TI-83+/84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE and HP Prime.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

Quote from: flimflam on July 22, 2015, 03:31:48 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 22, 2015, 03:21:09 AM

Thanks! The keypad on the SE went bust (except for the ON button). I tried all the usual reset tricks, reinstalled the OS, etc., but to no avail. Eventually, I found a guide on Cemetech to take the thing apart and clean it. I took it apart and removed and cleaned all the keys and the mat, but after putting it back together it still didn't work.

I was thinking of getting a CX CAS, but the constant boot code changing and TI's antipathy towards asm make me think the 89Ti is a better choice.

Welcome and you could probably buy a for parts ti 84+ se on eBay and swap the keyboards given that most calculator issues originate from the screen. I'd put that off until you learned 68k though because I know that at least for me, I'd go with the language that I've already learned rather than the one I am in the process of learning. Also I think that the 89 is a much better choice than the cx cas for a regular calc programmer.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Unicorn

Welcome to Codewalrus flimflam! This place is the land of :walrii:, off topicness, and calculators!

Why didn't you just look on Ebay for a new 84+ SE? Or, you could even search for a 83+ SE, because its exactly the same, except for MATHPRINT and some other OS things. (And I find its much cheaper ;))
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

flimflam

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Quote from: Unicorn on July 22, 2015, 01:59:04 PM
Why didn't you just look on Ebay for a new 84+ SE? Or, you could even search for a 83+ SE, because its exactly the same, except for MATHPRINT and some other OS things. (And I find its much cheaper ;))

I can't find an 84 or 83 SE that's both mint and cheaper than the titanium - supply/demand and all that, but thanks anyway for the advice. Fortunately, I was able to rip a ROM off the 84+ that I can use with wabbitemu to run my old programs.

Unicorn

Quote from: flimflam on July 22, 2015, 02:09:29 PM

I can't find an 84 or 83 SE that's both mint and cheaper than the titanium - supply/demand and all that, but thanks anyway for the advice. Fortunately, I was able to rip a ROM off the 84+ that I can use with wabbitemu to run my old programs.
Oh, you were looking for one in great condition. Well, I found mine with a little black spot on the screen, and it hasn't hurt me yet. :) But anyways, do as you wish :)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Quote from: flimflam on July 22, 2015, 03:05:18 AM
Hello,

I've lurked for a long time on various calc forums, but this is my first actual account in a calc programming community. My 84+SE died a week ago after 5 years of honorable service, andI can't replace it since TI apparently doesn't make the SE anymore. So, I decided to get an 89 Titanium instead. I used to write lots of little programs in Axe, basic, and z80 asm, so I think I'll be able to pick up 68k reasonably quickly.
Hey flimflam and welcome to the fourms :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

princetonlion.tibd

• Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: flimflam on July 22, 2015, 02:09:29 PM

Good to hear. You still have the original hardware I assume, so you can emulate it fine :)

And Unicorn prices for the 84+ and Nspire CX calcs are often ridiculous on Ebay because they're popular. I rarely see 84+ calcs under $100 there unless they are broken (in which case it's usually easy to get one for $20)

Unicorn

Well yeah, but I got my 83+ SE for 32, and it had a tiny blemish on the screen, sothe 83+ is nice unless you want mathprint.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I like the 83+SE quite a lot actually. Early 84+ calcs were actually slower than the 83+SE, although not by much, and newer ones are as fast, if not faster. Plus the 83+SE has the extra RAM pages and crystal timers. The only problem is that the 83+SE model has an higher failure rate than others, lacks an USB port and a clock. It also lacks MathPrint, but that's better that way for compatibility (MathPrint breaks many programs)

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 28, 2015, 04:19:30 PM
I like the 83+SE quite a lot actually. Early 84+ calcs were actually slower than the 83+SE, although not by much, and newer ones are as fast, if not faster. Plus the 83+SE has the extra RAM pages and crystal timers. The only problem is that the 83+SE model has an higher failure rate than others, lacks an USB port and a clock. It also lacks MathPrint, but that's better that way for compatibility (MathPrint breaks many programs)
Yup, its the best :) And there's a ton of room for hardware mods. ;)

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

eh. I quite like mathprint. it's quite handy for, you know, math.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...