Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New member introductions: Say hello here!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 20, 2014, 02:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting username. I much prefer your current CW avatar, although I guess that would fit for Unicorn avatar :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, it rocks! I specially like the colors.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Thanks! :D i'm quite proud of it too since i don't really do pixel art normally, though he turned out quite nice

princetonlion.tibd

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 15, 2015, 03:36:20 PM
Ah yes, it's kind of an inside joke and something from 9gag.
Me and brent have a hangouts group where we talk in a lot (since were in the same class too) and we had a period where we put 'tron' behind everything.
We also still have a period where we make jokes of everything with pythons / snakes in general. On 9gag is kind of a thing where a name gets changed a bit weird,
like spoderman (the meme which started it). so oneday somebody came up with 'snek', which is spoderman-speak for snake. And ofcourse we put 'tron', and thus 'snektron' was created. Then for some reason it was made in Comrade Snektron, and with 'Cumred' being a spoderman-speak for 'Comrade' :P

For some reason, I used to think it was a spin off of "Comrade Stalin,"  combined with that russian snake avatar you had...
Well now I know it's not :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

CKH4

I had no idea what Cumred was but at first I read sleketon as in skeleton with the letters mixed up but soon after I saw that it was snek but the tron part really confused me. Anyways thanks for the explanation, I think it really helps our brains not see images of skeleton snake things.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

To be honest, due to the Snektron part ending with -tron it reminds me a bit of robots and transformers. :P

Quote from: princetonlion.tibd on April 17, 2015, 02:16:38 AM
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 15, 2015, 03:36:20 PM
Ah yes, it's kind of an inside joke and something from 9gag.
Me and brent have a hangouts group where we talk in a lot (since were in the same class too) and we had a period where we put 'tron' behind everything.
We also still have a period where we make jokes of everything with pythons / snakes in general. On 9gag is kind of a thing where a name gets changed a bit weird,
like spoderman (the meme which started it). so oneday somebody came up with 'snek', which is spoderman-speak for snake. And ofcourse we put 'tron', and thus 'snektron' was created. Then for some reason it was made in Comrade Snektron, and with 'Cumred' being a spoderman-speak for 'Comrade' :P

For some reason, I used to think it was a spin off of "Comrade Stalin,"  combined with that russian snake avatar you had...
Well now I know it's not :)
I doubt many forum members would like to use a nickname named after a dictator :P.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

There once was this dictator dude in unicornland...
Nah, I'm not a dictator. (at least I don't think I am...) O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Is Unicornland another calc site or are you refering to a TV show?

Unicorn

I am referring to an imaginary land. Though, it may become a calc site in the future. Probably not though :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

In any case, good luck if you ever start a new calc forum. From experience it really needs something unique, attractive or that many people wanted for a while. The second most active calculator forum that started after 2013 is TI-84-plus.com and it only has 150 calculator-related posts in 2 years. :P

Unicorn

Like how with this forum there are about a gazzilion off topic posts and we all love the walrii? :P

Thats why I like ths place so much.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed, but Walrii was not the sole reason why it got a fast start I think. :P

But again, we never know *.*

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 17, 2015, 06:30:48 AM
In any case, good luck if you ever start a new calc forum. From experience it really needs something unique, attractive or that many people wanted for a while. The second most active calculator forum that started after 2013 is TI-84-plus.com and it only has 150 calculator-related posts in 2 years. :P
I did a quick visit  and it doesnt really seem like they've got much posts anyway :P

Also: Walrii is love, Walrii is life

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I think the issue is that TI-84-plus.com was started solely to offer a place to discuss about the TI-84 Plus and get help, while Omni and Cemetech both offered that already. I don't remember if it was started in response to United-TI demise, but I'm afraid that it might have been obsolete right from the start, especially considering that nowadays it's next to impossible for a calculator site to survive with only calculator-related discussion, let alone about a single model series.

Omnimaga at least had the many RPG projects, followed by many features that CodeWalrus now has and TI-Boy/nDoom/Axe. United-TI was a merger of 5-6 forums and a large TI-BASIC optimizing fan central and they had Contra 83. Cemetech had interesting hardware discussions, more discussion freedom and now has Doors CS/SourceCoder. CodeWalrus has the atmosphere and most site features that Omnimaga admins got rid off in the last three years and TI-Planet, while being French, has the many discoveries about new calcs, OSes and Nspire hacks. Even then, most of those sites had a slow start or had a big slump during their first few years of operation.