Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Minecraft] [HP Prime] MinePrime - Minecraft on a Hp Prime!

Started by alexgt, April 20, 2015, 12:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

Whelp I thinks we need more explanation because this makes no sense with the tests:
Quote from: timwessman on May 18, 2015, 07:51:57 PM
Quote from: alexgt on May 18, 2015, 07:28:43 PM
I thought that ICONs were smaller than GROBs?

Exactly the opposite. ICON represents the GROB, but using a plain text hex format - two 16 bit characters to represent the single 16 bit pixel. When parsed, it creates an internal GROB from the text. You thus have used 3x the space needed then just for the GROB alone.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

bb010g

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 19, 2015, 01:08:24 AM
Oh I see lol. That said, when we compare GROB format with ICON, the difference isn't always 3 times larger. Sometimes it's even worse, because ICON uses some sort of compression for simple images. For example, if you converted a 1920x1080 picture containing just white into ICON format, then the resulting code is about 3 KB large. However, the GROB version is 11.5 MB large!! *.*
GROBs are continuous sections of memory, with each pixel represented in memory equally. PNG uses compression. (Unless I understand this wrong; feel free to correct me.)
  • Calculators owned: HP 50g, Prime, 28S, 35S, Casio Prizm, dead Nspire CX CAS

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it uses compression. I wonder if it's like RLE compression?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Lionel Debroux

Though there are better generic compression algorithms, DEFLATE is already much better than RLE compression or Huffman encoding. The vast majority of ZIP files use DEFLATE as well.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Snektron

DEFLATE sound like quite a general name :P Also for fun i calculated some time ago you'd need around 1x10^40 different characters to compress a file to a single character (and the number of rounds used to compress). Though i've probably messed up something :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

bb010g

Quote from: Lionel Debroux on May 19, 2015, 05:45:15 AM
Though there are better generic compression algorithms, DEFLATE is already much better than RLE compression or Huffman encoding. The vast majority of ZIP files use DEFLATE as well.
Doesn't 7z use LZMA by default, a variant of what DEFLATE uses?
  • Calculators owned: HP 50g, Prime, 28S, 35S, Casio Prizm, dead Nspire CX CAS

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Lionel Debroux on May 19, 2015, 05:45:15 AM
The vast majority of ZIP files, along with the New England Patriots, use DEFLATE as well.
Fixed. :P

I am definitively curious about what PNG uses, though. What is more interesting is that HP PPL PNG format is 16 bits instead of 8 or 24. All I know is that if you use very simple sprite textures, the file size is much smaller than with complex ones, which tells me that the file size only increases on every color change or something.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

I am experimenting with the app stuff it is awesome :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Did you have to change a considerable amount of things in your code? With BasicBuilder for the 84+ you had to change so much picture calls that most people including myself didn't even bother.

alexgt

Right now I am learning how to do most of it but it really looks promising :) as of now I am still trying to figure out everything Tim said :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah OK, good luck then. Hopefully it won't be too much hassle. >.< My real favorite part is the ability to have an icon, though. With regular programs it gets hard to find out which one is what unless you use a name like Minecraft. I even had a program that alternates the screen between red and cyan at 30 FPS  but had forgotten which name it had, then I ran it in the dark. >.<

Snektron

Oh thats cool. I wish android had the possibility to have dynamic icons, though that would probably be too heavy :/

alexgt

I bet that you can hook it up with the connectivity kit, if I am wrong it would be cool if you could.

Snektron

alexgt

I will agree with you but I have no idea what that is :P