Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Buzzing Laptop Power Cord

Started by Dudeman313, January 29, 2017, 05:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

Last year I put in an effort to get my now 9 years old laptop fixed, working, and updated, this being less expensive than purchasing a quality replacement. That November, I got a new battery and power cord(both non-OEM) and clean installed Windows 10 Pro on my Acer Aspire 5735z.

About 2 hours ago, I started hearing a strange, loud, and inconsistent buzz/crackle clearly originating from the brick of the cord. The sound was so loud it could be heard 6 feet away.

A closer inspection revealed that the noise only was heard while the laptop was plugged in, and that in the short breaks between buzzing, the laptop would lose connection as if unplugged. I have shut down the laptop(which was almost dead at 23%) to preserve battery.

If this can be fixed, how? If a replacement is necessary, please explain why. Please ask me for more information if needed.
Thanks! :walrii:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Yuki

It's probably going to die, get a replacement cord.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

p2

was it a cheap china copy of a power cord or an expensive one?

you might want to try to turn on a regular fm radio close to it. If you hear a loud sound out of the radio's speakers that almost kills the radio signal, you can be sure it's a super cheap thing that should better be replaced. (it means there's not even an electromagnetic shielding).
That will not tell you about the strange sounds while charching, but it's a general indicator about the quality. (some guys sell cheap c but claim it would be top quality)
if that test says "cheap c" then you better replace it right away.

if it was expemsive, you might want to try to return it as it's not functioning properly.
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dudeman313

Quote from: p2 on January 29, 2017, 10:14:43 AM
was it a cheap china copy of a power cord or an expensive one?
It was a cheap china copy. The original was lost.

you might want to try to turn on a regular fm radio close to it. If you hear a loud sound out of the radio's speakers that almost kills the radio signal, you can be sure it's a super cheap thing that should better be replaced. (it means there's not even an electromagnetic shielding).
That will not tell you about the strange sounds while charching, but it's a general indicator about the quality. (some guys sell cheap s*** but claim it would be top quality)
if that test says "cheap s***" then you better replace it right away.
I'll try this and see what I get. Should I attempt this test while charging or when it is not in use(unplugged)?
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

The reason why it broke this way is that it's a Chinese knockoff. :P Anyway stop using it, because crackles and pops coming from a charger or battery usually means something is burning inside and it will be much less expensive to buy a new charger than replacing a burning house.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

Quote from: Jkolade936 on January 29, 2017, 03:53:26 PM
That will not tell you about the strange sounds while charching, but it's a general indicator about the quality. (some guys sell cheap s*** but claim it would be top quality)
if that test says "cheap s***" then you better replace it right away.
I'll try this and see what I get. Should I attempt this test while charging or when it is not in use(unplugged)?
it has to be charging at that moment for the test :)
But actually dj is right.
THis is a simple test you should better do BEFORE ur battery is fried, right after you bought the cable.
Now you should probably really just focus on replacing that stupid thingy before it kills ur laptop battery.
and believe me that can happen damn fast.
I once bought a cheap cable, that was obviously NOT ment to be used with my laptop's battery (c declarations on amazon, they sent a different cable with different output stats) and within 1 week my laptop battery was down from 2 hours to 15 minutes... <_<
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dudeman313

Okay. I'll try to convince my mom to buy it for me instead of forcing me to list something on eBay that no one will buy just so I can buy it with my own money.
The answer is "Sure."