Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The end is nigh

Started by Snektron, September 19, 2015, 12:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

GalacticPirate

Mmmmm... Seems like the doomsdays malediction is on us. Going this way, we'll have soon more than 7 doomsdays per year !  ;D
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

aetios

Oh well we've had a couple more apocalypses we'll survive this one.

Also, best reply to that vid: 'will that mean I'll never see star wars 7'
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

A sign that the end is nigh: @Streetwalrus only posts in topics with pink tags now :P

Also yeah, right, Target stores closing in Canada are entirely a sign of the End of the World. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

That's a ruse, they keep making ridiculous doomsday theories, so when it will happen for real, no one will believe it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. If news started spamming us with reports about an asteroid being nearby and the like and it never happened, eventually it will be like the boy who cried wolf, so when climate changes or anything else would finally have their toll on human race, people would think it's still a hoax and when they would realize it's real then it would be too late.

Also @Cumred_Snektron this topic should have been named "The hemp is high". :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well, if the news comes from the NASA itself that a large asteroid will crash on Earth, then yeah you could legitimately fear. That or North Korea is being immature with their nuclear weapons.

Also anything new that could make weird stuff like black holes, remember when people believed the LHC might cause a disaster.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

The probleem with asteroids or accidental release of viruses is that governments tend to never tell us the truth, so it's possible they won't even tell us until it's too late. Plus, they'll get TV news to claim that the worst is over and BS like that.

The only thing that would get announced early is if North Korea, Iran, Russia or ISIS threatened to attack USA, because North American medias tend to be quick on news reports about potential attacks from such places. However, in ISIS case it would probably be surprise attacks so it might be hard to predict.

aetios

I'm stil not sure why they even thought that the LHC could create black holes. How could a thing that fires cores at each other create black holes? Black holes don't get formed like that.

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm unsure either. I am curious about what else LHC could have formed, though, that could have been bad?

aetios

Nothing really. They fire clumps of a few atoms or even less than that together, when anything bad woulda formed it was so little it couln't do harm.

Yuki

IIRC, they did announced it would create black holes, but their Hawking radiation would be so short they would evaporate before they even had time to eat anything. People probably feared it could probably accidentally make black holes bigger than expected.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I see then. Something I wonder too is if multiple nuclear tests at once could tilt Earth axis or get it out of its orbit? Or could it generate big earthquakes if it was held in an area like Japan or San Andreas?

aetios

Black holes being neutron-starstuff? I guess that's true yeah cuz they squished nuclei so close together. But w/e it didn't happen in the end. And yes if you ced up too much with nukes I could imagine you could c up the earth quite a bit :P