Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(Results out!) CW 4x3 Game Contest!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 28, 2015, 11:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

Quote from: princetonlion.tibd on April 30, 2015, 03:07:13 AM
I think the calcs I have are added now, I might attempt.

Does the orientation of the 4x3 matter? can it be 3x4?

It can be 3x3, 3x4, or 4x3, if I am correct
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

princetonlion.tibd

so the maximum size is 4x3, but it can be smaller?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

Unicorn

That, I don't know, I think it stops at 3x3...
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: princetonlion.tibd on April 30, 2015, 03:11:06 AM
so the maximum size is 4x3, but it can be smaller?
3x3 is the minimum. Otherwise the only two other options are 4x3 and 3x4 (the latter is ideal for smartphones or the Classpad)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Unicorn

Ummmm..

Can I change my idea a little if I need to? Would that be allowed?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

DarkestEx

I really think that there should be three winners, @DJ Omnimaga.
They could get a 10($/€) for place 2 and a 5($/€) card for place 3.
This would make it alot better and would give others a better change to win.
It's sad if your game doesn't win after (then) having worked for over a month on it (school making it even harder to do so).
And if you can't give prizes to the 2nd and 3rd place, you should still give them badges.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Strontium

If you're participating just for the prize, you're doing contests wrong, in my opinion.

How does Ludum Dare have thousands of participants yet no prize?
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

DarkestEx

Quote from: Strontium on April 30, 2015, 08:55:19 PM
If you're participating just for the prize, you're doing contests wrong, in my opinion.

How does Ludum Dare have thousands of participants yet no prize?
You got me wrong. If I wouldn't want to win (or atleast get into the circle of -hopefully- three winners) I wouldn't participate. Would you?
Oh and yes, its not for the money. But just for the good feeling of having won.
These prizes would have been more symbolic than useful.
I wouldn't spend hours and hours trying to get some huge pixel things working, wouldn't spend one hour typing 36 3x3 letters into the calulator, wouldn't develop a framebuffer driver for graphics output, wouldn't make scrolling menus, wouldn't do this even if I have alot to do for school (theoretically :P).

So I hope this will clear things up.

EDIT #1:
I must really be honorest. When this is done, I will have spent at least 12 hours (more like 24 at the end), getting this working (maybe even more...).
Nobody is probably ever going to play my game afterwards and I haven't learned too much over the development yet, so of course do I want some feedback, a positive response, you know.

EDIT #2:
Don't get me wrong on this too. I have fun making this game, but I am just realistic about the rest.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Strontium

Okay, thanks. The way you talked about the prize made it seem like you were more interested in money than the pleasure of actually competing in a contest :P

I haven't ever made a game before either.

123outerme

• Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

THe thing is that this particular contest was more considered as a mini-contest since we plan a bigger one with more prizes later. CodeWalrus staff members are pretty much on their own when it comes to funding the website and contests, unlike Cemetech (an anonymous person donates them many calcs every year), TI-Planet (affiliated with TI) and Planète-Casio (affiliated with Casio), and while Omnimaga has no affiliation with anyone, one of their admin earns a lot of money from his job compared to me. On top of that I am the only CodeWalrus staff with an income. This is why smaller contests only have one prize and why we try to keep hosting costs to a minimum.

We could always give special badges to three winners and the gift card prize to the top winner, but we can't always do miracles. I hope you understand and still have fun participating. Now I should try to get some ideas for badges
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Strontium

Some badge ideas: contest walrus or party walrus. Party walrus gets a party hat, contest walrus gets a fancy blue ribbon.

Dream of Omnimaga

Walrii could work but the CW Supporter badge already uses it. It could be some sort of medal, though (bronze, silver and gold)

Unicorn

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...