Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

PSA: CW downtime and data loss

Started by novenary, August 09, 2015, 09:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorunome

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 11, 2015, 05:13:37 AM
UPDATE: I forgot to mention that one of our member was thankful enough to send us many of the lost posts via e-mail earlier. He had notifications enabled on almost every topic. As a result, he had the posts via e-mail. I would like to thank CKH4 a lot for this.

However, due to being in a different format, it would take a long while to manually convert them and re-introducing them into the DB would require bumping all post IDs from August 9th to present, which isn't necessarily the most ideal scenario (considering the backlash Omni got for doing this, although in their case it's the entire board that got their IDs bumped, not just 100-300 posts). As a result, it is unclear yet if the posts will be re-added or simply made available as archives in a sub-domain.
Just have an admin post all those as himself and then change the DB to adjust the user IDs and the timestamps, after that re-count all the posts forum-wide, that's how I did it with the yaronet posts
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

novenary

That's effort. :P Also you need to insert some posts between posts.

Sorunome

SMF always sorts by timestamps so it won't even care that the IDs are out-of-order
This is a signature.

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

novenary

Oh really ? Well that's nice, but weird since threads are linked lists iirc.

Sorunome

Quote from: Streetwalrus on August 11, 2015, 09:36:33 PM
Oh really ? Well that's nice, but weird since threads are linked lists iirc.
All the posts are stored in {$dbprefix}messages and from there they link to the topic id they are in.
This is a signature.

novenary

Yeah but each post has a nextpostid thing.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Sorunome on August 11, 2015, 09:35:54 PM
SMF always sorts by timestamps so it won't even care that the IDs are out-of-order
Nah it stores by ID because when I once tried to merge two databases, dates were not taken into account when sorting from newest to oldest topic. Unless this changed in SMF 2.0?

On a side note, it seems like CKH4 was not subscribed to everything, so while those posts might get restored, some will most likely remain missing. All staff sub-forum posts will be as well except maybe up to August 4.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Unicorn

Darn. At least you recovered some things :)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

princetonlion.tibd

Now everyone should suscribe to every topic possible :P

At least we got some posts back, these weeks are my most active weeks in the history of CW

EDIT
And for the CW IRC log part in post 1, I think lines 1, (25), and 26 matter the most :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

brentmaas

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 10, 2015, 04:23:52 AM
I'm fairly sure he just told him that the site was defaced by the guy, since Brentmaas hadn't been around in a while.
*Veeery late respond lol* It's not that I'm not much around (I'm almost daily online), it's just that the site worked for me like one hour before that.
Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I meant prior the attack you didn't post for almost 1 month :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Soooo, what happened??? I completely missed it O.O
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

novenary

Basically pimathbrainiac snapped and deleted the entire contents of the server, luckily we had a backup so we could recover, but it still happened. He could because we forgot to remove his server access when he stepped down as an admin.

Dream of Omnimaga

Sorunome

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 12, 2015, 12:14:50 AM
Quote from: Sorunome on August 11, 2015, 09:35:54 PM
Nah it stores by ID because when I once tried to merge two databases, dates were not taken into account when sorting from newest to oldest topic. Unless this changed in SMF 2.0?
[...]
Yeah maybe it's an SMF 2 thing
This is a signature.