Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

DarkestEx' Tech-Blog

Started by DarkestEx, September 18, 2016, 12:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Hello!

I have now finally started writing posts for my blog: http://bmuessig.eu/
They focus primarily on Technology but I will surely post the one or other different thing.

I have started with a series on the HP 100-LX:
http://bmuessig.eu/posts/hp-100lx-restoration-part-1
http://bmuessig.eu/posts/hp-100lx-restoration-part-2
http://bmuessig.eu/posts/using-cf-cards-in-the-hp-100lx

I hope you will find it interesting ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks cool and nice HP 100lx restoration :D. You should post some pics on the forums in the hardware section too :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Hi :)

I made some new posts about finishing Clawsemble (and what it actually exactly is):
http://bmuessig.eu/posts/i-just-finished-clawsemble

And one about my new RPN-Calculator Build:
http://bmuessig.eu/posts/rpn-calculator-build-part-1

Some pictures if you still aren't convinced to head over and have a look ;)

I hope you find them interesting :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

I saw the other pic with the numpad and I like the idea. It will look more old-school :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

I know this might be a bit offtopic... but how comes your keyboard got no Q and no Z..  ???
ai Really like the idea of building your own calc (despite the fact I dont see + or - keys anywhere) ^^
was it an old phone's keypad? ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p2 on September 28, 2016, 09:31:31 AM
I know this might be a bit offtopic... but how comes your keyboard got no Q and no Z..  ???
ai Really like the idea of building your own calc (despite the fact I dont see + or - keys anywhere) ^^
was it an old phone's keypad? ^^
Well, you can buy standard keypad modules and they usually always come with numbers and some extra characters. This was the easiest way for a quick mockup.
When I actually go into production there will be a custom keypad matrix with more keys and I will CNC custom cases <3
Also the PCB will be a custom one there.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 27, 2016, 09:20:51 PM
I saw the other pic with the numpad and I like the idea. It will look more old-school :P

DarkestEx

Dream of Omnimaga

This looks much better. What is that glossy frame thing around the keys thatvis also screwed with the rest, though?  It looks nice but if it's a slim metal or plastic thing that can be bent, be careful to not cut yourself. >.<

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 02, 2016, 06:59:43 PM
This looks much better. What is that glossy frame thing around the keys thatvis also screwed with the rest, though?  It looks nice but if it's a slim metal or plastic thing that can be bent, be careful to not cut yourself. >.<

I actually wrote in the post what is up with the new frame and how I made it.
TLDR: It is basically paper that is laminated on one side only and stuck to the case. It covers up the gap between the screen, keyboard and the case and makes it look nicer.
Oh and you can't cut yourself with it ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see. Is it solid against puncturing?

E37

What is the big red light for? Power?
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

DarkestEx

Quote from: E37 on October 08, 2016, 02:16:17 PM
It is a general purpose status LED. It will mainly indicate power but I will make it flash on errors or low battery.

Also the device is quite solid but I would still not transport it outside a case.

E37

Quote from: DarkestEx on October 08, 2016, 02:45:12 PM
It is a general purpose status LED. It will mainly indicate power but I will make it flash on errors or low battery.

Also the device is quite solid but I would still not transport it outside a case.
Sounds cool! What is the battery life? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?
I personally dislike the light - it looks kinda ugly. Maybe it looks cooler.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

p2

I personally actually really like the design (even how it looks kind of like a TI-84) ^^
*You just dont like it as it reminds you of HAL9000  >:D
The only thing strange is the text on the keys but that's not his fault ^^
I've just started wondering if there'll be a on/off button...
0-9 + -
will be missing * and / or is there something I dont understand about the design ???
But anyways the concept of creating your own calc is already super cool so I dont really care that much if theres on or two buttons missing (in this version of it) ^^ Still a really nice project  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

DarkestEx

Quote from: E37 on October 11, 2016, 04:19:49 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on October 08, 2016, 02:45:12 PM

Sounds cool! What is the battery life? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?
I personally dislike the light - it looks kinda ugly. Maybe it looks cooler.
Haha, I have no clue yet. The battery has not yet arrived and the hardware is not yet built. With the 2500mAh battery it might last for a very long time before needing to be recharged.

Quote from: p2 on October 11, 2016, 04:23:57 PM
I personally actually really like the design (even how it looks kind of like a TI-84) ^^
*You just dont like it as it reminds you of HAL9000  >:D
The only thing strange is the text on the keys but that's not his fault ^^
I've just started wondering if there'll be a on/off button...
0-9 + -
will be missing * and / or is there something I dont understand about the design ???
But anyways the concept of creating your own calc is already super cool so I dont really care that much if theres on or two buttons missing (in this version of it) ^^ Still a really nice project  :thumbsup:
I might like to point out that it will be running Claw and a calculator program I am going to make. So it will have menus anyhow. This lead me to dedicate the # key to be the menu key (double tap for enter). The * key will be the decimal separator. All the usual maths tokens are available from a menu. You basically type your number, hit the # key when done. Now you can either start entering a new number or tap the # key again to add an operator. By pressing the number assigned to the specific operator (e.g. 1: +, 2: -, ...) you will be able to perform your RPN style calculations.
Sure it is a little convoluted, but you have to live with what you got.

And yes, there will be a hard on-off button. While the CPU supports a low power state that would draw extremely little, I am too lazy to design the software to make use of it.
I am fine with a hard power switch. The programs and history is stored on the SD card anyways and not in RAM.